Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 25, 2004, 11:38 AM   #1

Default I want the best for under $350!

I've been searching for under a year now for the best digital camera and always get to flustered then give up. Right now I am looking at the Minolta Dimage XG, XT, XI adn the Cannon Powershot SD10. All the reviews contradict each other and its driving me nuts!

Can you tell me whats better? Or can you reccommend one that better than both?

Basically the camera is going to be used to take pics of family and friends, but I would love to take scenic pics on vacation as well.

Please help!
Marisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2004, 12:00 PM   #2
AMG

I'm sure someone will suggest the best camera for your needs, but answer these questions frist. Wll you ever print these photos 8 x 10, or will it be a rare occurence. Secondly, do you need a big zoom capability or just a little zoom good enough. Thirdly, do you need manual settings, or do you mostly shoot in auto mode, just point and shoot. This will help narrow the field.
AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2004, 12:11 PM   #3

Thanks for the quick response!

I would love the option to resize the pics and 8x10 sounds great, just not often. I like the idea of manual settings and don't think I will be taking pictures more than 12ft away.
Marisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2004, 12:51 PM   #4

Hi Marisa,

Welcome to the forum

Yes, the choices for cameras can be daunting.

One thing you may want to do is go to Best Buy (or similar
place) and test drive a few cameras in your price range.

One thing to budget for is extra "memory" cards. These
come in handy on vacations.

Good luck
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2004, 4:45 PM   #5

Hi Marissa,

You may want to consider the Canon A80. While I haven't any experience with this camera, judging from the reviews (here, cnet.com, pricegrabbers.com & Amazon) it continues to receive a great deal of praise.

When you say that you want a camera under $350., I'm not sure what you mean but if you are willing to pay upwards to $350. then this camera would be within your budget.

If you haven't looked into this camera, might be worth checking out.

~Kate
informativetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2004, 12:26 PM   #6

Tech TV just did a review of cameras under 200.00 here is the link. Now I know these next two are a little over your buget but bugets are meant to be broke. My friend just bought the Manolta Z1 and loves it. It is 3.2 mp and has a 10x optical zoom. I think I seen it for 369.00 My camera you can get on ebay for around 400.00 and I am very pleased with it. It is the Olympus C-2100 UZ. It is only 2.0 mp but it has a 10x zoom and image stabilizing. I love this camera. I bought mine 2 years ago on ebay for 417.00 and it's still going for that. That says something about the quality.

http://www.techtv.com/callforhelp/pr...647496,00.html
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2004, 3:11 PM   #7

Quote:
I bought mine 2 years ago on ebay for 417.00 and it's still going for that. That says something about the quality.
I'm not sure this is true. I say this as my impression is, the reason an older camera costs the same today (or more, which usually seems the case) as it did when it hit the market...is that it is in limited quantities (today). Capitalizing on the fact that quantity is limited and lack of competition- driving the price up for those who may really want this camera. This is my impression and I could very well be wrong? Perhaps I'm just a cynic when theorizing on marketing practices.
informativetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2004, 7:34 PM   #8

[/quote] I'm not sure this is true. I say this as my impression is, the reason an older camera costs the same today (or more, which usually seems the case) as it did when it hit the market...is that it is in limited quantities (today). [/quote]

I guess that could be. However being that the cameras features such as 2.1 mega pixels are becoming outdated I would think that my original assumption stands true. Any outdated electronics that still brings a good market value must have been of good quality to begin with. Even if it would be because of limited quantities I'm not going to pay top dollar for outdated electronics unless they they had some speacial features that made it worth the amount. That's just me though. Maybe others would. I bought mine before it was considered outdated so I can't say for sure why people are buying them still for the same price. I just know it's a great camera and for that price I would buy it now before I bought anything else in the 400.00 price range.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote