Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 25, 2004, 2:00 PM   #1

Default Carl Zeiss lens,and blues club pictures

Hi,
I am a beginner to digital cameras,and after about a year decided to purchase the Sony DSC-F717. I will be using this just for everyday shots I would use any camera for...family,parties. I do have one special need I hope it works well in,and two questions.
The first question and need is I bought it for taking pictures in blues clubs. I was wondering if you could suggest how to set up this camera for taking the best possible pictures in that type of environment.
Second question is, when I was showing this camera to two friends,they both said I should buy a lens to protect the Carl Zeiss lens. Does this need to be done? If so, what is needed to protect the lens?
Thank you,
Richard
[email protected]
r-piazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2004, 3:18 PM   #2

Hi - I am also interested in something along these lines.

I currently own and maintain a Denver-based website that provides a documentary of the nightlife scene in Denver.

Recently purchased was a Nikon 5700, and I was curious if anyone had any input as to what kind of settings I should use to take photos in a nightclub setting.

Lights are always flashing, people are always moving, so I find it somewhat difficult to take good photos (this coming from a beginner). I want to capture pictures of people moving without getting trails, and also be able to take wide-angle crowd shots that look great.

Thanks in advance for your help!!
m311b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2004, 7:13 AM   #3

Default Re: Carl Zeiss lens,and blues club pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by r-piazza
Second question is, when I was showing this camera to two friends,they both said I should buy a lens to protect the Carl Zeiss lens. Does this need to be done? If so, what is needed to protect the lens?
Although this seems like an easy question, it's actaully not. There are some that strongly feel you should get just a simple UV filter to protect the lens. The thought is, if something comes in contact with the lens, you've only lost a filter. Then there are others that don't want anything in front of the lens because it can degrade picture quality, especially those with strong sun light due to light refelection. I've seen some comparison shots between shots with and without a UV and could not tell a difference, but the sun was not shining down either.

Personally, I don't currently have one. I probably will eventually get a UV, but I may not leave it on my lens all the time ... use it only when I feel at risk. If you buy one, get a good name brand.

As far as your firt question, I don't shoot them so I'm going to let someone with more expertise address this. I will say that you're probably going to have a hard time getting club shots though. In dim light without a flash, you're going to need a fast lens, a sensitive iso speed, and most likely a slower shutter speed than you would like which will mean you'll need to brace the camera against movement. The problem with most digicams too is that once you bump your camera into iso 200 or higher, your pictures start showing noise. The higher the iso, the noiser the shot. There is sofware that can reduce the noise by taking some of the sharpness. One software is called Neat. You may want to look at it.
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote