Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 27, 2004, 11:39 PM   #11

o thanks!
I'll make sure I look at each of those, btw 2 last question what about the lens it has somthin' like f3.4/fx.x whats is it, and whats better to have a low one or high?
also my laptop has a 15.4 wide screen, so is it possible to view the pictures in a way so that it displays on the whole wide screen without editing the picture? so what i mean is that from what i see most digital cameras do not capture at 1280x800, or is there a way to do it without editing the picture in the pc?

thank u again u where a great helper
bu_7assooon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2004, 12:46 AM   #12

Fx.x is the aperture or lens opening. Your lens has the ability to let in more or less light by adjusting the lens opening. This is similar to the function of the pupil in your eye. The larger the opening (small #) the more light that can hit the ccd in a given amount of time. The smaller the opening(large #), less light will be able to hit the ccd in the same amount of time. The aperture has 2 primary functions.

1. Contol how much light is hitting the ccd or film in a given amount of time
2. Adjust the depth of field. A small opening (large #) means you can get more in focus (depth of field). Ex. If you take a picture of a person with a small aperture, the person and the backgroud may be in perfect focus. A large opening (small #) means less will be in focus. If you took the same shot as above from our previous example but with a large aperture, you may have the person in focus but the backgroud all blurred.

Usually the manufacturer provides you with information on the largest aperture available on the lens. They tell you this because the larger the opening (smaller the number), the more light that passes through to hit the ccd. This is important because you could possibly take pictures in dimmer light without a tripod or flash if the lens can let in enough light. f3.4 is respectable. An f1.4 or f2.x would be better, but usually more expensive. On zoom lenes, you'll usually see something like f3.5-4.5. This means at wide, the lens can open up to f3.5 and at zoom the most the lens can open up is 4.5 which is a smaller opening, therefore less light can hit the ccd and therefore you'll need a longer shutter speed to accomodate for the less light.

Concerning your 2nd question, I am not certain how you would accomplish this without adjusting your screen resolution or editing the picture.
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2004, 3:53 AM   #13

Thanks again!
After comparing the canon s500, casio z40 ,optio s4i, sony t1.
I elimnated thse canon mainly becasue it has a small LCD, and its kinda thick than the others. also it uses CF which non of my other products use.

now 3 are left. in terms of overall features I guess the T1 leads all but its alittel bigger also its most expansive of the 3. Also as I said first that my phone uses Memory stick duo so this is a big plus also I always like sony products :roll:
the s4i and z40 are quite the same but the s4i has alittel better features like the 30fps in movie mode but the z40 has a larger lcd but I think that z40 is not available in th US.

But what I want to realy know If any1 can answer whats best in image quality the s4i or z40 or t1? and if no one could answer because the s4i and z40 is still not released then which one of s4 or z4/z4u or t1 is better in image qualit? I've seen the samples...but they are not of the same scene so its hard to compare.
Old Mar 28, 2004, 8:17 AM   #14

Default hello..am not sure I could help

I got minolta xt - it has unlimited video but resolution of the video is not as nice. From what I heard of the T1 - it has super nice video. I myself am looking for a new digital camera but I'm still keeping my xt for now as it is very handy.

I'm looking at the V1 - although it has a small LCD (which is a bummer) :roll: but it is good for low light focusing - which the other smaller camera doesn't have.

So point is - you need to know which of the qualities you're looking for in a camera and prioritize it. I guess we can't have it all!

Ching
Ching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2004, 2:03 PM   #15

I know what i'm looking for, but I wana choose the best between the Sony T1, casio Z40 and Pentax S4i, and as I said I dont care If it is 4 or 5 MP as long as the image clerly shows on a 15.4" screen so I want the one with best qualit images and better features in those 3...
Old Mar 29, 2004, 5:25 PM   #16

On a 15 inch screen you will not see any quality difference. Printing 4 X 6 prints you will not see any quality difference Ė not 8 X 10 either. 5Mp might give you a little better 11 X 14 than the 4Mp cameras. The cameras have slightly different default in-camera contrast, saturation and sharpening settings but you can change those. Different cameras have slightly different ideas on color balance and white balance, but they are mostly very acceptable.

Steve has 3 standard outdoor scenes, a flash and macro shot he uses for all of the sample photos for cameras he tests. Go back and look at them again.

There is a BIG difference between 640 X 480 and 320 X 240 movies. If you are interested in the movies and donít mind framing with the LCD get the T1. I personally prefer a viewfinder.

US sites are taking pre-orders for the Z40: http://shopping.com/xGS-casio_z40~FN...NS-1~CR-2~DW-0 So Iím guessing it will be sold here.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2004, 8:55 PM   #17

Default T1

I just got the T1 last week and I love it. I 've researched all the cameras you mention and none could compare. I was going to buy the S4. I even ordered a 256 SD card for it and when I heard about the Sony I stopped to find out about it. It has everything and does it all better. The only drawback is the price.
I even spent a few extra bucks and got the black model.
Pathfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2004, 9:07 PM   #18

Thanks for your reply!
BTW from where did you get the black T1 ?? is there any site showing pictures of the black T1.
Old Mar 29, 2004, 9:22 PM   #19

Default Black T1

It's only available in Japan, but an American company brings it in and sells it. They are great to deal with. One to one on the phone and no trouble to talk to the same person that you talked to the last time. Check them out at www.dynamism.com

I ordered Thursday at 3PM. I received it Friday morning at 10AM. In Montreal.
Pathfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2004, 1:28 AM   #20

The balck T1 looks cool. but I guess if I want to choose the t1 I would go for the silver, I like it more.