Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 30, 2004, 10:01 AM   #21

Default Re: T1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder
It has everything and does it all better.
5 feet maximum flash range is a bit stingy. Most of my flash shots are outside that range. And that maximum flash distance diminishes as you zoom. F3.5 is also stingy on glass. The S4 is 11.5 feet for the flash and f2.8. The T3 is a bright light only camera. The S4 also has continuous manual focus, 4 second night shots and a viewfinder. It is also interesting to note that for the same scene the T1 takes about a 2.2Mb best quality shot where the S4 will take a 2.7Mb of the same scene although it is a Mp less. It has a true SHQ JPG.

The T1 has some nice features. The movie mode is superior and the LCD is very nice. But it certainly doesn’t do “everything” better. The S4i that bu_7assooon is looking at also has a nice LCD, is half again as light with battery and card, and comes with a cradle like the T1. It also has the longer flash range, faster lens, good night shot capability, manual focus etc.

Times are a wash. Both are fast with shutter lag but the T1 is faster. The S4/i is much faster pre-focused and has better normal cycle times. The T1 has a burst mode which the S4 lacks. The Pentax also comes with a better software bundle.

The T1 has a focus assist light but the S4 does well without it. With over twice the flash range the S4 is barely adequate for normal family use. A couple of reviewers have said the lack of a viewfinder is a deal-breaker for them. I prefer having a viewfinder, but think I could adapt OK with that nice LCD. The deal-breaker for me would be the extremely limited flash range. Forget about group shots except outdoors in bright light.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2004, 4:34 PM   #22

bu_7assooon, I'm in the same boat as you...I'm in between the s4i, ex-z40, and the new canon s410. the way I see it, the T1 is just way too pricey and to take full advantage of the 5 MP you would need a huge memory stick. the canon does seem a little bulkier so for me its in between the z40 and the s4i. both should be available in april so we'll have to wait and see to actually hold them in a store. Let me know if you;ve made any progress. peace!
guillermobrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2004, 8:24 PM   #23

Well, first the canon s410 is very good and canon is always one of the top in cameras...but what I dont like about it is as you said its kinda bulky and the LCD is small...

Now the T1, one of the main things that attract me to it is "Sony", I love their products...everything I bought from them is perfect. another thing is its LCD and splendid movie mode.... well as you said to take the best advatage of this device is to have a large memory....which comes to my next point, I own a sonyericsson p900 which uses memory stick duo...I have a 32 MB and 128 MB...and if I bought the T1 im welling to use the 128 MB with it....and maybe in the future I buy a higher memory when I need it...also in the future many things will use memory stick duo hopefully one of them will be PSP :roll: . this is my main reasons why I'm attracted to this device...or Brand.

The z40 and S4i are perfect... and I know that they will serve me right just as the T1 if I bought any one of them...z40 is a littel bigger but it has a 2" LCD compared to the 1.8" of the S4i...
btw I think the S4i is available..I just check amazon.com and it was available.
also check this a gold and black z40 :shock: ..looks cool
http://bluetin.com/digital_cameras/c...im_ex-z40.html

In the weekend I'll try to go to some stores to check the digital cameras, and I might have a T1 at the end of the week. .
bu_7assooon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2004, 9:11 PM   #24

There are many different reasons to buy a particular camera. I loved the size of the S4, but try to work with the buttons and then try the the buttons on the T1.

In my line of work it's very usefull to take pics with a date stamp on the picture when I want it. The Sony is one of the few cameras that offer that.

The LCD is great and its easy to see even in bright sunlight. I'm not trying to sell anyone on any camera. Read the reviews and handle the cameras.
Pathfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2004, 9:55 PM   #25

i'll be honest...if I had the $550 i would buy the T1 but I'm trying to keep my actual camera budget at $400 so I can buy some accesories.

I think it's a good bet that the PSP will use the Memory Stick Duo so that should be a good investment. I guess for me I'm down to the S4i and the ex-z40. Do you think there is much difference between the two besides the size of the LCD? I know Pentax makes the lens on both cameras so I figured the s4i might be the better camera since it's made by the maker of the lens.

Do you know if they both shoot movies at 15 fps? or is one 10 and the other 15? Do you think the battery life on the cameras will be much different? Give me some final suggestions on which one of the two I should buy and enjoy your T1 as is seems like you're going down that route. I was I could join you. peace
guillermobrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2004, 1:37 PM   #26

From the research I made on the Z40 and S4i I found he following differences:
-Z40 has a 2" LCD compared to the 1.8" S4i.
-Z40 has 2.5 times more battery life compared to it last version the Z4. I dont no anything about the battery life of S4i because there is no reviews on it. but my guess is that the Z40 will have a better battery life over S4i becasue in the S4i previews nothing is stated about any improvents over the battery life since the S4....well according to the specs z40 takes 360 shots while S4i takes 180 shots so z40 has 2x the battery life.
- Both record movies at 15fps, both unlimeted.
- both have 21 shooting modes.
-S4i is smaller in size.
-S4i is cheaper $349 while Z40 is 399
-S4i has an AV output terminal to connect it to the TV but the Z40 doesnt.
-Im not sure about which one has the better picture quality, you can check the samples in steve's review...but there is no samples for the s4i...you can compare it with S4's sample as they are quite the same models.

These are the main difference.
Hope you find what best suits you
Old Apr 5, 2004, 8:19 PM   #27

I got it !!! the Sony T1, and I'm lovin it, one of the best things I like is that I can record at 3:2 which displays perfectly on my wide screen laptop.

btw any1 could help me if the T1 has image stabillization? or something like that?