Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 27, 2004, 4:03 PM   #1

Default First Digicam

Hey, I'm a newbie when it comes it digital cameras and I'm needing some help for buying my first camera. I'm looking to spend around $400-$500 for a camera, and I have been reading lots of reviews but I can't make a decision. I am going to be going on vacation in June to Cancun Mexico so I want a good camera that will work well for me there. I was looking at the Olympus C750 and the Fuji Finepix S7000, but I just need some advice or recommendations to help me make a decision. Thank you
AJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2004, 4:26 PM   #2

first off do you want a compact and durable camera or a camera with a big zoom????
Old Mar 27, 2004, 4:31 PM   #3

Somewhere in between I guess. It doesn't have to have a big zoom, and the size isn't that big of an issue either. I've been looking at the C-5050 and C-5060, both look like really good cameras for their prices.
Old Mar 27, 2004, 5:47 PM   #4

borh are excellent cameras, the only diffrence in the two is the 5060 is more of a wide angle camera, all the other features are the same. depends on what you need or want. if you like wide angle go with the 5060, but if you like telephoto range go with the 5050..
Old Mar 27, 2004, 10:40 PM   #5

I have been reading a lot of threads about C-5060 problems. People were saying that there was a "bad batch" of cameras that were produced. Has this been resolved, or will this most likely happen to me as well if I buy one?
Old Mar 28, 2004, 2:02 PM   #6

I haven't heard anything about that issue.
Old Mar 28, 2004, 6:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJohnson
I have been reading a lot of threads about C-5060 problems. People were saying that there was a "bad batch" of cameras that were produced. Has this been resolved, or will this most likely happen to me as well if I buy one?
I think you will find that comment about just every camera ever manufactured. Unless the comments include serial number information, it is hard to know if it is just a troll or two stirring things up or real. Unless you see a lot of comments about specific modes of failure with serial number information, I'd suggest pretty much ignoring them. Check out the user profiles and other posts made by those complaining. If they are complaining about (e.g.) a Nikon while all their other posts are in the Sony forum - ignore them. If their only posts are complaints about that brand of camera - ignore them.

When I bought my camera several years ago, there were a lot of comments about the flash failing - sure enough mine gave out a month or so ago. Doesn't bother me since I don't like flash, and despise built-in flash units. Not many folks still using a three year old digicam so I don't worry about it.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote