Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 30, 2004, 1:57 PM   #1

Default How Do I Get My Pic. File Size Small Enough For Emailing??

I just got my Kodak DX 6490 in the mail yesterday. I'm very very new to all this digital camera stuff so please help me. I was taking pics in best mode, which would make them 4 megapixels, and then I loaded them into my computer. I messed around with the easyshare software that comes with the camera, but it doesn't let me do a whole lot. I tried attaching a pic to an email through hotmail and it said that the file size was to big. The kodak software also has an email option, but I can't get it to work. I think I might have to link it in with my outlook or something, but not sure how to do that. I don't even use outlook. I'm very confussed and frustrated. Does this mean that I have to take pics in poor mode in order to send them via email? Or is there a way to make the file size smaller without cropping the pics I already have? When I tried to send it through the kodak software it said that the original image was close to 2 mb i think and it had an option that said it was good for emailing that got it down to .31 mb. Is .31 mb acceptable or do I need to get it smaller than that somehow? I downloaded the trial version of Photoshop Elements yesterday and I would like to start using this software. If I can figure it out then I will buy the full version. Thank you

Jake
jkulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2004, 2:10 PM   #2

There should be a "convert" option somewhere in the Kodak software that lets you change the resolution size and resave the file. You should save the full resolution images and then save s copy as a 640X480 size which is pretty standard for emailing.
If you can't find the option in the Kodak software to downsize the image to 640x480 download Irfanview (http://www.irfanview.com) and use its convert option to downsize your pictures before emailing. Irfanview is pretty simple to use.
If you happen to have MS Office Professional 2003 - there is a program called MS Photo Album which has an easy email option that automatically downsizes the image (I bet the Kodak software would do this as well - not familiar with the kodak software).
cczych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2004, 4:13 PM   #3

Unless you know the recipient's connection speed is fast (mine is 26.4K bps), you want the picture as small as you can make it while it still just barely holds the detail you want.

The first thing to do to reduce the size is to crop it: cut any of the unneeded background at the edges as you can.

The next is to decide how large you want it to be on the recipient's screen. Normally, downsizing to something like 450 pixels high is a good size - let the width go where it wants to to keep the aspect ratio constant.

Then there is the amount of JPEG compression. Experiment to find out what seems to work for you. My feeling is to compress it until *I* start seeing some degredation, then push it a bit further. Figure no one else is going to want to look at the picture as critically as I do.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2004, 1:35 PM   #4

Thank you Billdrew, that is exactly what I needed to know. I did what you said through my trial version of Elements and it worked great. Now if I can just figure out how to send several pics. in one email I will be set. I'm really likeing this photoshop elements so far. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the full version and then get a good book on how to use it. cczych, there is a button on the kodak software that converts it to a smaller size for emailing, but it's automatic. You can't choose the size or anything. I tried that and it was still .31 mb. What is .31 mb in KB, do you know? Is 1,000 KB 1 MB? Thank you guys for your help.

Jake
jkulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2004, 6:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkulysses
... I tried that and it was still .31 mb. What is .31 mb in KB, do you know? Is 1,000 KB 1 MB? ...
0.31MB is 310KB. That is still about ten times to large for images that are not going to be printed (at least for my 26.4K bps connection), and a bit small for printing. An awkard size that really isn't the best for much of anything.

Do some experimenting to find out what works best for you and the folks you are sending the pictures to. If you want to batch downsize/compress the images, take a look at IrfanView (http://www.irfanview.com/ - freeware). A good set of photo utilities.

Also, look into starting your own web site. Doesn't have to be anything fancy, just a place to park your pictures. That way you can email the URL instead of filling up your out box with multiple copies as well as avoiding overflowing the reciepient's in box.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2004, 7:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDrew
Also, look into starting your own web site. Doesn't have to be anything fancy, just a place to park your pictures. That way you can email the URL instead of filling up your out box with multiple copies as well as avoiding overflowing the reciepient's in box.
Another excellent suggestion from BillDrew - I've gotten very positive feedback from sending URLs instead of multiple photos in attachments.
If you have a number of photos you want other to see and aren't ready for your own website, another suggestion would be to upload them to an online album somewhere. If, for example, you have 20 pictures you want someone to see and don't want to take the time to build your own web site nor do you want to email them all - then you could go to a place like www.ofoto.com - create a profile and get free space for albums. You will still most likely want to shrink down the sizes (I usually go with 640x480) to something manageable before upload as the amount of space they will give you is limited. I have used this site for allowing extended family members to view our kids on family vacations - those will dial-up appreciate getting a URL rather than an email with numerous attachments (I was blamed for email clogging peoples connections when I first started). In addition to ofoto - if you search this forum there are some recent threads of other places you can upload to.
cczych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2004, 1:05 PM   #7

If you have Windows XP you can just open the folder where the pictures are located, select them (assuming you have more than one to send), then right-click on the image(s) and from the menu select Sent to.../Mail Recipient. A window will appear asking you if you wish to resize the images for e-mailing. If you choose yes, the images will be resized (don't remember if you have a choice of sizes - haven't used this ina while) and then automatically attached to a new e-mail message which you can then send to your recipient. The results of this resize tool are very good if the pictures are meant to be seen on the screen.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote