Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 31, 2004, 3:17 AM   #1

Default Which to pick? Im a man!

Im a man, and all men need help from their friends. So I call to you guys once again. I have been struggling over the fact of some cameras. If given the choice, what would you guys do in my shoes?

Canon EOS 300D KIT Digital Rebel
Minolta DiMAGE A1
Nikon Coolpix 8700
Sony Cybershot DSC-F828

I understand most of you will prob. say the Rebel, but I'm still in the "learning process" and think I might hold off on the DSLR, but maybe you guys will push me into buying one, who knows.

I'm like a little boy, not knowing which candy to pick. So I must see what my friends all get first, then I'll make my decision

your help is always appreciated!

-eric
ekimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 31, 2004, 4:58 AM   #2

I've read the reviews over and over. I'm so confused as to which to pick. Although I think that the Rebel might be a little to advance for me right now, but who knows.

I need a push or a kick in the butt. Please post your opinions
Old Mar 31, 2004, 7:03 AM   #3

A friend of mine has the Rebel and it takes great shots in full Auto (I think all he uses is Auto). If you're thinking about spending $1000, then you might also want to put the Nikon D70 on your short list as it's only $1300 with the kit lens. I have the D70. I've heard good things about the Nikon 8700 already, but I don't know about the others.

Now that I've bought a DSLR, I won't go back to P&S Camera's. My D70 has a sharp lens, fast focus, no noticeable shutter lag, and no noticeable startup time. The CCD is bigger so I am able to take better pictures with higher ISO's then most if not all P&S Camera's. And if you want control, it's all there at your fingertips without going into an endless list of menu's, but it also has a Full Auto to use while you learn most advance features. So far, the only bad that I've heard about the D70 is that some of the picutures have moire in them. I've had my camera for a week now (taken 300 to 400 pics) and I've yet to see moire. Nikon reports on their KB that this is by design because they choose to leave the pictures sharper, which as a result has the potential for an occasional picuture with moire.

Now I've not personally used my friends Rebel for more than a few shots but I'm relatively impressed with it as well. Seems to have no shutter lag, only 3 sec startup time, still a bigger CCD for higher ISO pictures and in general just better quality than P&S (so my reading has indicated)

If you buy a DSLR with a kit lens, it probaly won't come with zoom lens as strong as some of the highend digicams. As a result you may find yourself buying another lens down the road, but the good thing is that the lens is an investment that you can keep for future camera bodies.
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2004, 12:04 PM   #4

yeah this is the hardest part for me, making that transititon right now into DSLR, being that I'm still a "Beginner" in the camera/photography world. Im going to go take a second look at all of these camera's, hopefuly that will make up my mind.

Thank you very much for posting. I was feeling lonely lol!

-eric
Old Mar 31, 2004, 2:24 PM   #5

wow so many views, so little response lol! :shock:
Old Mar 31, 2004, 8:38 PM   #6

If price matters at all, the A1 can be had for under $600. That is a lot of camera for the $$.
sjm817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2004, 9:31 PM   #7

I just bought the A1 and so far I think it's great. Does much better in dark areas than my Oly C-2100 UZ. My wife is at home doing more test and learning. She says the macro works nice. We have only had it for two days now so I can't really go into depth. I think for the money you can't go wrong. Also it has the Anti Shake feature that I've gotten very used to on my C-2100.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2004, 9:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekimes
wow so many views, so little response lol! :shock:
The old what camera should I buy question does get many views and little responses if you don't give us something to respond to. It's like asking what car should I buy and then listing a SUV, compact, luxury and pick up. They are all different and good for different things.

Besides being a beginner and needing a kick in the pants what kind of picture taking do you plan on?
Underwater
Aerial shots from a hot air balloon
crime scene photos
pics of your rambunctious puppy
pics of your 14 year old blind, three legged dog
sports and action photos of your kids
outdoor sports or indoor sports
landscapes
astronomy
Do you own a camera? Film or digital
Do you own a computer? Mac or PC
Do you own a printer? Inkjet or laser
Have you ever worked with photo editing software?

Ok, ok so you probably get the idea of sarcasm at work here but in reality these are some very important “type” questions.

Enter each one of your camera choices in the search box and read the list of the hundreds of other people who asked the same question and you will probably get some really great insight.
PKchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2004, 2:19 AM   #9

lol PKchopper, i was saying that as im posting this thread. "Im sure they get this crap all damn day long...and are sick and tired of it"

I went ahead and got a Sony 828. I have 3 sony digi's and also a Sony camcorder. So i stuck with what i already have. I have like 12 M type batteries and over 15 memory sticks (even though the 828 takes CF). I hope and think i made the right choice. Can't wait to get out tomorrow and take some snaps

Lucky for me I live in a very very nice place in the US

I thank you all for your help though, You'll see me around here im sure

-eric
Old Apr 3, 2004, 1:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekimes
lol PKchopper, i was saying that as im posting this thread. "Im sure they get this crap all darn day long...and are sick and tired of it"

I went ahead and got a Sony 828. I have 3 sony digi's and also a Sony camcorder. So i stuck with what i already have. I have like 12 M type batteries and over 15 memory sticks (even though the 828 takes CF). I hope and think i made the right choice. Can't wait to get out tomorrow and take some snaps

Lucky for me I live in a very very nice place in the US

I thank you all for your help though, You'll see me around here im sure

-eric
Glad to hear you have a sence of humor, it does well around this place.

I looked at the F828 and it is a good looking camera and as you said you already have a lot of accessories...so it sounds like a good decision for you.

I will just suggest you look carefully at the return policy and use the camera right up to the end and if you are not totally satisfyed take the thing back.

This is by no means a qualified comment but I heard the 8mp are a bit "noisy" because it crams extra pixels into the same size sensor as the previous smaller mp cameras.

I say, if you notice your pics are noisy then they are and take the camera back.

If you don't notice noise, then it's not and the camera works well for your use and conditions. Just go out have fun and shoot tons of pics.

Congratulations on your purchase
PKchopper is offline   Reply With Quote