Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 1, 2004, 10:37 AM   #1

Default New Member, New Canon 10D (once it gets here)

Hello....

Just thought I'd say hello. I work for a large retailer of camera equipment and after a long period of going back and forth, I ordered the 10D, along with a 28-200 USM, 20-35 USM, and a 550EX w/ Off Shoe Cord 2 and Stroboframe 350.

I've been shooting manual Nikons for 10 years, and I also have a Sony P92 which I love.

It's great to see that this forum is much more civilized than "other" online camera discussion groups

I'd be happy to help with any questions I can regarding cameras, because chances are I can pull them out of the case and look.
Polaris20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 1, 2004, 4:05 PM   #2

Good to have you here.

The 10D is a fun camera, I hope you enjoy it.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2004, 6:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric s
Good to have you here.

The 10D is a fun camera, I hope you enjoy it.

Eric
Maybe you can answer a question for me; my sister has the same camera, and says that she right away set a custom function for slightly increased sharpness and saturation. Have you tried that?
Old Apr 2, 2004, 2:14 PM   #4

I have not, because I would rather adjust that in photoshop.

If you've used other digital cameras, you'll find the pictures "out of camera" are not as sharp or contrasty. But they take a good amount of sharpening in an editor, and you can do whatever contrast changes in software as well.

The logic being that different pictures want more or less contrast/sharpening. Most people don't want tack sharp portraits showing every pore and blemish (for example.)

The problem being that once you add sharpness in the camera, it is hard to remove it (and it doesn't look as good when you do.) If it isn't there, then you can add as much as you want in photoshop.

Eric
Old Apr 2, 2004, 3:34 PM   #5
-jb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris20
Maybe you can answer a question for me; my sister has the same camera, and says that she right away set a custom function for slightly increased sharpness and saturation. Have you tried that?
As Eric mentioned, the 10D is originally set up for people that want to externally process their images. Sometimes new users are unhappy with their images as they come directly from the 10D.

If you don't want to post-process your images, you'll probably want to bump up the processing parameters to match most other consumer camers.

Check out page 56 in the 10D User's Guide for information on Setting Process Parameters. You can increase the Contrast, Sharpness, Saturation, and Color Tone. I believe this is what your sister meant...

-jb
-jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2004, 7:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by -jb

Check out page 56 in the 10D User's Guide for information on Setting Process Parameters. You can increase the Contrast, Sharpness, Saturation, and Color Tone. I believe this is what your sister meant...

-jb
Yeah that's probably it. I did buy Nic sharpener, which seems to me a lot more "natural" than PS's stock sharpening. Perhaps I'll work with that first.

Is the lack of sharpness because of the AA filter?

I am not concerned; just curious. I know I got a good camera coming.
Old Apr 3, 2004, 8:52 AM   #7

There is a AA filter on there, but maybe it isn't as strong as on earlier cameras? I truly don't know (not having used earlier digital cameras, and not having looked into it on this one.)

I just think they knew that the pro market would use it as a backup camera and that the wouldn't want those settings too high.

USM isn't bad, I haven't looked at Nic sharper but I've heard some nice things about it.

Eric