Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Newbie Help (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/newbie-help-16/)
-   -   are there any digital cameras that are webcams also? (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/newbie-help/23229-there-any-digital-cameras-webcams-also.html)

bjh23 Apr 2, 2004 12:20 PM

are there any digital cameras that are webcams also?

i've ignored the digital camera world but have decided it's probably time to join the fun. i also could use a webcam and am wondering if any digital cameras would serve that function as well, since i know many/most do streaming video. any info would help. thanks in advance!

cczych Apr 2, 2004 12:34 PM

For the most part:
Digital Cameras work good as digital cameras but BADLY as digital camcorders; and
Digital camcorders work good at digital camcorders but BADLY as digital cameras.
If you want decent quality - you need one of each - someday good hybrids may exist but we aren't there yet.
Most digital cameras have a movie mode which captures either MPEG or Quicktime (MOV) format files. They capture to compact flash so burn space rapidly. Capture quality is generally poor and audio is very poor and mono. On digital camcorders - resolution and quality of stills is generally poor. The general problem is that the electronics are designed for either really good stills or really good motion - a CCD that can do both well doesn't yet exist.
I'd be suprised if anyone disagrees with me (if there is a good hybrid out there - please let ME know where it is).
If you primarily want stills - with occasional "short" video clips and aren't concerned about quality in video - you may be able to get away with just a camera.

JerryF Apr 2, 2004 4:41 PM

Webcam

Quote:

Originally Posted by cczych
For the most part:
Digital Cameras work good as digital cameras but BADLY as digital camcorders; and
Digital camcorders work good at digital camcorders but BADLY as digital cameras.

I may be wrong, but the question was for a webcam not a camcorder.

My Fuji 602Z works as a webcam.

bjh23 Apr 2, 2004 4:53 PM

yeah, my questions was specifically about digital cameras doing double-duty as webcams. resolution on webcams generally isn't great. i'm just looking for a unit that will work for digital photography, with the added bonus of the webcam feature with resolution of 640x480 and 15 or 30 fps. i don't need high quality full motion camcording, just a fun IM'ing sort of thing. anyway, thanks for the suggestions. i'll check out that Fuji 602Z. if anyone else knows of any other cameras like that please let me know. thanks!

Challenger Apr 2, 2004 7:05 PM

The Fuji S5000 works pretty well as a web-cam :wink:

JerryF Apr 2, 2004 9:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjh23
i'm just looking for a unit that will work for digital photography, with the added bonus of the webcam feature with resolution of 640x480 and 15 or 30 fps.

I don't know if the webcam feature of my Fuji 602Z has a resolution of 640 x 480 and 30 fps (not noted in the owner's manual), but the movie mode can be set at 640 x 480 and is always at 30 fps.