Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 6, 2004, 4:35 AM   #1

Default Resolution Question?

Hi,
I'm pretty useless with digital cameras and thought I would ask you guys, to find out the anwser to this stupid question.

I relise that the more mega pixels your camera has the bigger you can print out photos without loosing quality.

So if I had a 5mp camera and shoot all my photos on its full resoultion size, but wanted to print them out at usall postcard photo size, would I loose any quality because I have shrunk the photo??

Thanks
The Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2004, 6:59 AM   #2

Default Re: Resolution Question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rat
So if I had a 5mp camera and shoot all my photos on its full resoultion size, but wanted to print them out at usall postcard photo size, would I loose any quality because I have shrunk the photo??
Short answer yes...
Currently at 4x6 by 300 dpi (usual photoprint standard) is about 2.1 MP of information. Thats pretty much all that will fit.

So what will the 5MP camera get you...
1- Abilty to crop (think of it as an additional zoom lens)
2- Some additional resolution the extra pixels do contain information and sampling down from 5MP to 2MP will allow extra information to be translated down. When done properly this can and does make a better looking image than a 2MP image .

Personally if all I was going to print was 4x6 size I would get a 3 or 4MP camera (you can still get quality optics and low noise focal planes). Shoot at maximum resolution and then downsize the picture, this will give you a better quality picture than a 2MP camera.
CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2004, 7:28 AM   #3

I agree but I think it needs some clarification. You will not lose quality in that the 5Mp picture will not be any worse than it would be had you taken it with 3 or 4 Mp. You donít degrade the quality of the print by giving it too much information. You just arenít able to take advantage of all 5 Mp and a snapshot sized image wonít come out any better than it would had you taken it with a lower Mp camera.

You donít know what your future use for the images will be. At the current cost of memory you might as well have the extra pixels so you can crop and make larger prints if you want.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2004, 9:23 AM   #4

If I may ask a follow-on question. Is this the same thing that happens if you crop a picture? For example, if I crop it, do I lose the pixels (outside of cropped area), or does the software actually try to cram everything into a smaller area (i.e., try to put 3qts. of something into a 1/2 gal. size)?
frontier02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2004, 10:26 AM   #5

Cropping is cutting (throwing away) the pixels from a section of the picture to make is smaller. This has the effect of "zooming in" on a part of the picture.

Resizing is cramming it can be done in different ways. By throwing away pixels (for example every 3rd pixel is tossed) or by doing a average function.
CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2004, 10:08 AM   #6

Thanks, CastleDude. I was just a little confused on the difference between "resizing" vs "cropping".

So much to learn, so little time!
frontier02 is offline   Reply With Quote