Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 16, 2004, 4:13 PM   #1

Default Shakey hands

I have a medical condition where my hands shake more than normal. I find I'm unable to use my Coolpix 995 as it's heavy. Can anyone recommend a lighter camera with similar properties to the Coolpix which I really liked. Thank you.

Lizzie
Lizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 16, 2004, 10:22 PM   #2

I don't know if you coolpix had image stabilization, but you may want to consider it on your next camera purchase.
PKchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2004, 2:03 AM   #3

minolta a1 has a great image stablizer. I dont know what type of coolpix you have or how much your looking to spend. But as far as steady pics, Minolta is #1 i'd have to say.
Also i dont know the weight of your last camera, but the Minolta weighs in at 560 g / 19.8 ounces

take a look at it if your interested!

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/a1.html

gl!
ekimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2004, 8:03 AM   #4

As the others said, look for image stabilization. Perhaps that'll help. I would not go for a lighter camera as believe it or not, lighter camera's are easier to shake and not even realize it. You might also want to consider getting a monopod to help stabilize your camera.
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2004, 1:47 PM   #5

Thank you all who replied re: my shakey hands. I had no knowledge of image stabilization before but now I can look into it.
Thanks again.

Lizzie
Lizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2004, 3:14 PM   #6

The Minolta A1 anti-shake is good, but be aware that the A1 is considerably heavier than your CP 995.

Try to check out your potential choices in person, preferably at a 'real' camera shop--or at least at a store that doesn't have the cameras ladened down with anti-theft tethers--so you can get a true feeling of how the camera will handle and let you see the results of the AS (or IS) by snapping some shot in the store.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2004, 7:19 PM   #7

Hi Lizzie...

Depending on what you need, there are a few good digital
cameras with image stabilization:

Three examples are:

Olympus c2100uz (discontinued but you can find on ebay)

Minolta A2

Panasonic FZ10

Also, depending on your finances you could use a tripod
and the self timer to take photos

Good luck
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2004, 11:28 PM   #8

Another model with stabilization is the Canon S1 IS.
sjm817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2004, 4:09 PM   #9
Deo

Hi Im quadraplegic (spinal cord injury) so i have the same problem and with grip. I use a A1 and find it great because i find the grip weight and size pretty good. i agree with mdparker lighter is not always better, beging comfortable in your hands is more important. The way i take a photo is by holding the camera in both hands and because i have no movement in my fingers i use the remote control in my mouth, it works great. Also agree a telescopic monopod would be usefull. the remote control (cable release), anti shake and the physical size of the a1 is why i chose it.

hope this helps

Darren
Deo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2004, 11:10 AM   #10
Administrator

Lizzie:

Although some type of stablization may be desirable to minimize the impact of camera shake, there are some other considerations.

As a general rule, the heavier the camera, the easier it will be to hold steady for most users (the opposite of what you are finding). Perhaps your unique problem requires a lighter model.

If you have not tried it yet, use your Nikons Best Shot Selector (BSS) mode to see if this helps.

With BSS enabled, your Nikon will take up to 10 photos in rapid succession when you press and hold the shutter button. Then, it automatically saves the sharpest photo (discarding the rest). This feature is unique to Nikons (to the best of my knowledge, no other manufacturer offers a similiar feature).

It probably works by keeping the photo with the largest file size (indicating more detail was captured).

I've used BSS often with Nikon models to get sharper hand held photos without the need for a tripod.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote