Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 20, 2004, 8:40 PM   #1

Default The hard first steps in photogaphy

Hello,
as the newest member in this cheerfull forum, I want to give my kind regads to all the people here, that love photography!
I will presume to take a minute of your time to ask something really trivial ops: : I'm going to do my first steps in photography, but I already met first problems:I need a camera, but I can afford to spend only 200-220 for it so I should restrict my requirements :? , but anyway a want to pics in the nature and views so at least a need good lenses and a good zoom.I have been looking Oly C750 but either the price and the topics for hot pixels made me hasitated about it.So I want toask for advice, what camera to choose:Oly C740, mju300, myu 400 ,c4000z, kanon coolpix A75 or something else?
P.S Accordingly to my budget, I prefer to buy a camera with potentiality for upgrade-to add some staff to make better pics, to make a better zoom and so on!
Thank you very much in advance!
Antoni
Antoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 21, 2004, 7:46 PM   #2

Please help me!!I now that is trivial question and you are bored of that, but for the photography sake, please give me advice
Cheers
I'm sure that here are people that will spend a minute to advise me!
Old Apr 21, 2004, 8:58 PM   #3

I can spend a minute (actually, I'm going to spend many more than 1), but I can't advice you in the way that you would like.

I have never used or seen any of the cameras that you list. So I can't directly tell you which to get.

You have to understand that we get innundated with this type of question. So many times that we can some times become a bit jaded.... it feels like people don't do their own research but are asking us to do it for them.

Here is some general advice based on what you have said, I hope it helps.

What do you mean by "nature" picture. Landscapes? Wider sweeping pictures? Or Animals... Birds? Spiders? Dogs? Flowers?

Those have different requirements. For spiders or flowers you probably want good macro ability. For dogs, you need faster focusing cameras (dogs can run fast.) For birds you need as much telephoto as possible because you will scare them if you get close.

You see the problem? It's hard to advice with what you told us. (and for me, even if you did I couldn't help you because I don't know those cameras.)

For "views" I assume you do mean landscapes. To do that you need a wide angle lens. Look at the reviews of the cameras and see what lens they come with. Look at the "35mm equivalent" numbers. For example the Oly c4000z is has this for a lens:
32-96mm f2.8 (I think it's continuous over the zoom range.)

f2.8 means is has a large aperture, and this is always a good thing. But that is not a very big zoom, nor is it very wide. The human eye sees the same as a 50mm lens. So 32 isn't too bad, but something in the 20's is better. 96mm for a zoom isn't very long. It's close to a 2x pair of binoculars, if that helps. Something around 150mm is getting to what I'd consider long. So you might use it for a dog (which you can get closer to) but for shots at a zoo or wild animals it won't be long enough.

You get the idea? You can look up info about the other cameras just like I did at:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/

The companion web site to this page. And there are others as well, look in the links section on Steve's Digicams.

But there is something else you should seriously consider. Size, weight, usability, interface.

If it's too heavy, you won't use it or carry it (same thing, really.)
If you want it to fit in our purse or pocket, then that really matters (and overrides many other things.)
If it's uncomfortable to use, or the layout doesn't work for your hand size, then you won't use it as much or you'll miss shots while you fumble with it. You'll get better as you use it, but still.. why invite frustration?

What this all means is go to a store and see them. Actually hold them. Push the buttons and see how they feel. That is the only way to tell. You can look at all the pictures you want, but they will be different in person.

I hope that helps, and I'm sorry I can't help you more.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2004, 9:34 PM   #4

thank you very much for this delightfull answer, sorry for any inconvinience, but I didn't conisdered all this variety of options.I would like to do panoramas(landscape) mainly and a wild life pics(no spiders and flowers at all).
I have been talking about Olympus Stylus 300 ;stilys 4000; C740(predecessor of Olympus C750UZ) C 4000Z and Canon powershot A75.
The quality of the pictures is most important for me, so the size and the shape is not a problem!
Cheers!
Antoni
Old Apr 21, 2004, 9:47 PM   #5

And I just had a look on Fuji S 5000, is that a good salution, quite big 10X optical zoom [37-370mm, f2.8-f8(W)/f3.2-f9(T)]? It is a bit strange, cause a good options for that money :?:
Thank you in advance!!
Old Apr 22, 2004, 9:07 AM   #6

You could go to the Olympus section of this web site and ask specific question about those models. You'll probably get more directed answers there.

That zoom would work well for wildlife shot, it has a good fstop and a long reach.

37mm isn't great for landscapes. You could stitch multiple pictures together to create the effect of having a wide angle lens. Or you could get a fisheye lens (the opposite of a teleconverter) that would widen your view as well.

If you think you might do more landscapes than wildlife, then you might consider a different camera. You could do it, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote