Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 24, 2004, 4:54 PM   #1

Default What resolution should I use for 4MP?

Hey everyone I have a question. I just got the Canon S400. For printing, I mainly do 4x6's with the occasional 5x7. My previous camera was a 2mp so I only did 4x6s. I'm just curious, some friends of mine use super fine mode and 1600x1200, where as I've been using the 2270x1700 resolution at fine mode. Both of these settings achieve around the same number of pictures per card. I'm just curious what gives the best resolution over all. A higher resolution with fine setting, or a lower resolution with superfine setting? Thanks a lot.
leemoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2004, 5:13 PM   #2
Administrator

For printing 4x6" prints it would be a toss-up in my book, both resolutions are more than is necessary for a print size that small. However, you never know when you get that one shot that you want to make a bigger print of, and if the resolution is too low

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2004, 8:16 AM   #3

You've paid good money to buy a 4Mp camera why would you ever use it at anything less than it's best resolution? If you wanted a 2Mp camera you could have saved your money and bought one. Even at the print sizes you want a higher resolution allows you to crop the pictures to isolate a small part of the picture for printing and still maintain quality. As for the fine or superfine this refers to the amount of compression carried out in camera. Most cameras use JPG format which does lose data during the compression so again I'd always use the superfine setting and buy more memory cards. The only situation I can think of where I would consider using a camera at less than it's best settings is where I have limited space left on the card, no spare cards and a once in a lifetime photo opportunity. Just my 2 cents.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2004, 11:17 AM   #4

Until you can get a memory card for your camera I think your best bet is to take the images at full resolution and fine rather than superfine compression. If you want a larger print or extreme crop you can overcome compression artifacts a lot easier than lack of digital information.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2004, 11:40 AM   #5

steve wrote:
Quote:
For printing 4x6" prints it would be a toss-up in my book, both resolutions are more than is necessary for a print size that small. However, you never know when you get that one shot that you want to make a bigger print of, and if the resolution is too low

-Steve

I completely agree with Steve. I ALWAYS tell people to just spend the extra money on larger memory cards, and leave their camera set up to the largest resolution. As Steve said, you never know when a photo comes up suddenly you may want a large print from.

It's happened to me and tons of people I know and talk to - bingo, the UFO lands right in front of you and you have the dang camera set for 640x480! ARGH You get the idea. Plunk down for more memory, then don't worry about it.
atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote