Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 26, 2004, 1:32 PM   #1

Default mp, zoom and picture quality

Hi,
Since a month of a resurch with a only one purpose to find the best camera in a budget, I'm complately lost in this vast variety of cameras.I'm looking for a good allround camera,but wiith a good zoom for wild life pics and panoramas(landscapes) and I nearly went for Olympus C750, but after the topics in here I do not want to buy it anymore :? Now I wonder among Fuji S5000, Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1 and DMC-FZ10.The problem is, I have been adviced to look for a camera with less pixels, cause of the quality of the pics(more pixs,mean compression, compression would reduse the pics quality(cut some details), something not good for landscape and wildlife),so I wonder for Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1,but there are problems with low light mode(something often for a long lens cameras) and white balance,no manual control .So tell me please, what I have to do-to, I'm really confused.Is there any alternative sulution for this, or I must sacryfise something!?
Cheers!
All the best!
Antoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2004, 1:41 PM   #2

Default Re: mp, zoom and picture quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoni
I have been adviced to look for a camera with less pixels, cause of the quality of the pics(more pixs,mean compression, compression would reduse the pics quality(cut some details),
Who told you that more pixels meant more compression? Compression depends on the camera, not how many pixels it records.
JerryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2004, 3:30 PM   #3

More pixels means more bits(bigger size to store),isn't it?
Antoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2004, 3:52 PM   #4

Some cameras give you the option of different compression levels. My A60 has compression settings of Normal, Fine and Superfine with superfine using the least compression, though the photo's at that setting use more memory card space.
jackrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2004, 4:55 PM   #5

Default Re: mp, zoom and picture quality

More pixels means more information, better picture. Compression is the result of how a camera uses a built-in program to reduce some of the not-so-important information (crude description) using an algorithm (set of instructions on how to compress a picture) to make the file smaller.

So a 3 mp file would look better than a 2 mp file, with both files having the same amount of compression.
JerryF is offline   Reply With Quote