Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 27, 2004, 4:07 PM   #1
rrr

Default digicam rookie

i would like some advice on which camera to get. i want a simple point-n-shoot camera (but not an ultra compact one), with some manual adjustments capabilities. i have been using a canon eos slr before so weight is not much of an issue.
i have set a budget of around $200. my choices are canon powershot a60 or nikon coolpix 2100.
or should i raise my budget to either a powershot a70/a75?
rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 27, 2004, 6:46 PM   #2
Tik

Default Re: digicam rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrr
i would like some advice on which camera to get. i want a simple point-n-shoot camera (but not an ultra compact one), with some manual adjustments capabilities. i have been using a canon eos slr before so weight is not much of an issue.
i have set a budget of around $200. my choices are canon powershot a60 or nikon coolpix 2100.
or should i raise my budget to either a powershot a70/a75?
Why do you want a camera ?
Just for the occasional snap or for a hobby - if you are remotely serious about photography - get the best you can or it will be a dissapointment & gather dust.

I bought a Minolta Z1 recently & it's transformed my leisure hours from heavy TV to lots of fresh air & sun.

That's mostly because of it's zoom lens which gets you shots like this...

Tik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2004, 7:15 PM   #3

Nice picture but the Z1 is also a $400 camera.
Regarding the A60 and the CP 2100 - of the two I'd pick the a60 - it has manual controls - P,Tv,Av,M that the Nikon does not have - I always like to be able to control the aperture & shutter if necessary. The Nikon doesnt do that.
If you aren't going to print anything bigger than 4x6 the a60 might be ok; they are out of production now (so is the a70) so you might get a good deal. But if you want a good camera that you will be happy with in the long run go for the a75, it'll be worth it. It'll also give you better 8x10's, it has a better processor, an orientation sensor, better printer transfer, better AF and metering, the list goes on and on.
LTBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2004, 7:22 PM   #4

Default Re: digicam rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tik
... if you are remotely serious about photography - get the best you can or it will be a dissapointment & gather dust....
I disagree - get a digicam, any digicam: you will learn a great deal about digital photography with even a BarbiCam. Digicams are improving so fast that you can figure that you will be unhappy with any digicam you get today in a couple of years at most. While you are using it, you will figure out how to use a photo editor, what digital quirks/features are most important to you (noise, ISO, lag, ...), and be much better able to pick your next camera.

Count the price of your first digicam as tution and give it to your sister/niece/... as a birthday/Christmass/... present when you get a better one. Esp since there seems to be a serious sale on the 2100, see http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=25499
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2004, 7:24 PM   #5
Tik

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTBerry
Nice picture but the Z1 is also a $400 camera.
Regarding the A60 and the CP 2100 - of the two I'd pick the a60 - it has manual controls - P,Tv,Av,M that the Nikon does not have - I always like to be able to control the aperture & shutter if necessary. The Nikon doesnt do that.
If you aren't going to print anything bigger than 4x6 the a60 might be ok; they are out of production now (so is the a70) so you might get a good deal. But if you want a good camera that you will be happy with in the long run go for the a75, it'll be worth it. It'll also give you better 8x10's, it has a better processor, an orientation sensor, better printer transfer, better AF and metering, the list goes on and on.
Surely not - the Z1 in England is a 200UKP camera - the pound to the dollar rate for equipment is usually 1:1 = $200 plus local taxes.

Chris
Tik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2004, 10:17 AM   #6
rrr

thank you guys for the replies. i will take note of your tips and recommendations.
i'll give you an update as soon as i get my camera.
have fun guys!
thanks again
Old Apr 28, 2004, 3:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tik
Surely not - the Z1 in England is a 200UKP camera - the pound to the dollar rate for equipment is usually 1:1 = $200 plus local taxes.

Chris
The cheapest I found the Z1 was $277 with absolutely nothing, so LTBerry is in the ballpark.
JerryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2004, 5:43 PM   #8
rrr

LTBerry, thanks for the tip on the canons.
BillDrew, i called up several office depot stores, looks like i was a little bit too late. but i will keep checking out deals for the cp2100.
incidentally, is it worth buying online? i am not sure which online retailers are reputable.
Old Apr 28, 2004, 6:28 PM   #9

Out of curiosity, I checked out the camera auctions on eBay. It looks like quite a few eBayers have bought up the Nikon Coolpix 2100 Gift Sets from Office Depot and are offering them for sale on eBay. In fact, there are so many being offered at the same time that at least some of them seem to be going for less than the $124.03 Office Depot price. You may want to check it out. Just be sure to only bid on an auction from someone with a good reputation.

As an example, you can tell by the picture in the following auction that this person has made the rounds at their local Office Depot stores. The "881209" stickers on the boxes are the Office Depot inventory tags.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting
BargainSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2004, 5:37 PM   #10
rrr

hi guys!
looks like i may have missed out on the coolpix 2100.
i saw the coolpix 3700. can anyone tell me how that camera is? i have read reviews and most of them are very favorable. is the cp3700 a purely point-n-shoot camera? powershot users, is it true that canon's tech support sucks?
has anyone tried the coolpix 2200? i would like to get the good & bad sides of that camera too.
thanks again for your help.