Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 28, 2004, 5:04 PM   #1

Default Out of the box leneses for Digital Rebel and Sony F828

I'm trying to decide between two cameras recommended to me, the digital rebel and the Sony Cyber-shot F828. I know very little about lenses (and probably wouldn't even buy any extra ones for the rebel unless I really got into photography) so I'm trying to compare the out of the box lens of the rebel with the Carl Zeiss 7x optical of the F828.

Steve's review says that the focal length of the lens on the F828 is 28-200mm while the rebel's default EF-S is 18-55mm. Doesn't that make the F828 have a much better lense? I see that Canon makes a EF-28-200mm lens, but that would be an extra $500 on top of the cost of the rebel.

On the one hand I see how having the option to attach different lenses would be nice if I really got into photography, but at the same time I'd hate to have settled for a weaker lens if I was only going to have one (in the form of only the EF-S, or F828 as a whole).

What do you think?

Also, aside from the lens aspects of the camera, what else do you think should be my major considering points for a newbie? I noticed that the F828 has leg up on megapixels...
Dejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2004, 4:24 AM   #2

Default Re: Out of the box leneses for Digital Rebel and Sony F828

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejas
What do you think?

Also, aside from the lens aspects of the camera, what else do you think should be my major considering points for a newbie? I noticed that the F828 has leg up on megapixels...
I'm a newb too but I'll add what I can.

The Digital rebel is a dSLR and therefore a more profesional camera overall, even though the 8mp cameras are closer than any others up til now.

The rebels advantages are :

Bigger CCD. Even though its lower MP the CCD is 4x+ bigger than the sony's so will be far less noisy and usable at higher ISO's

Interchangable lenses. Get several instead of one does it all. Each lens will be (should be) better at its specific job than a general do it all lens. With a 28-55 and a 55-200 lens the rebel will do the whole range of the sony better - but at a price.

Performance. The dSLR's tend to work quicker. faster focus, faster raw performance, more orientate to the 'power user'.

It has disadvantages though. More cost, more kit, heavier etc. Also under ideal conditions the sony's extra pixels will allow you to print a larger photo.

The sony's advantages are more pixels, more generic lens, no need to swap lenses (and risk dust/damage to the ccd) etc.

Similarities in picture quality will be at low ISO (50-100) in light conditions. Over ISO 100 (200-1600) the sony will produce much poorer images than the rebel (due to a physicaly smaller ccd).

I'm in a similar position. Considering a KM A2 (8mp camera) which I could stretch my budget to a low end dSLR. As most of my pfotography will be outside in decent light and fewer in lower light/inside/portrait I dont think I need the dSLR.
RobDickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2004, 9:52 AM   #3

One thing about the Digital Rebel and the 10D is the sensor is just smaller than the size of a 35mm film frame. Because of this, there is what is called a focal conversion. In the case of the Rebel and 10D, an 18 - 55mm lens will actually result in the equivalent 28.8 - 88mm lens on a 35mm camera.

Another thing about the Sony (and a lot of these 8 megapixel prosumer cameras) is that they tend to have high levels of noise, especially in the higher !SO's, when compared to the Digital Rebel. They also have increased problems with purple fringing (the purple that shows up at high contrast edges).

When it comes down to it, the Rebel is a better choice. Another lens is not too expensive. Any good camera shop (not Best Buy, etc.) can help you with picking a good telezoom lens.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2004, 5:34 PM   #4

Lots more lenses for Canon also.

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2004, 2:39 PM   #5

Hi,

I am planning to purchase at SONY 828 soon. My real concern is if its going to be true with remote/cabled strobes/flash or studio lights considering if I already have a mounted hot shoe with a male/female connector for my strobes? I had 2 strobes (main -and my kicker light). Has anyone tried using sync cable wih this digicam? I'm using a 707 at present and i hate bounced flashes just to trigger my strobes during product shots. Please help/advice. Thanks. ---Ted ([email protected]), Manila
zthree is offline   Reply With Quote