Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 29, 2004, 7:34 AM   #1

Default NEED HELP - Buying a camera as a gift!!!

Im buying a digital camera as a gift for someone. I have been looking around and the 3 that seem to do the job and are in a similar price range are -

FujiFilm Finepix A210 3.2MP 3XZoom

Trust Powercam 910Z

Minolta Dimage E223

Can anyone advise me on which camera is the best, ot recommend a better one.

CHEERS!!!!!!!!
Numseey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2004, 10:00 AM   #2

This is a question that comes up often.

You might not like this answer, but it's the one I usually give. Give them a gift certificate to get it, donít buy it for them. A camera is something that has to fit your hands, your carrying needs, and your camera needs.

1) Hands Ė It has to be a good fit for your hand size. It should have buttons placed in reasonable places for you fingers. Is the LCD good for their eyesight?

2) How will they want to carry it? Should it fit in their shirt or pants pocket? Or in a Bag? Or in a fanny pack?

3) What type of photography are they going to do? Without this information we canít suggest which camera would fit their needs. This is an issue that comes up often. Without this information, we canít do a good job recommending a camera. Do they do indoor or outdoor photography? Kids playing soccer or flowers or landscapes? There are too many possibilities and therefor too may camera choices.

It is not easy to pick a camera for someone else. But you can go with them and get the camera with them. Do it in two trips, one to find a few models that are physically a good fit for them and then research those to see which is the best in both quality and what they'll use it for.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2004, 12:42 PM   #3

Great gift!

Respectfully, I choose a different response than Eric S but do appreciate his thought on your gift.

By all means, buy the digcam!

If possible, test drive your three choices at a camera store.

Empathize with the recipient

Then, buy all means (misspelling intended), but as accessories:

the max memory camera will allow/you can afford.

A 6-in-1 card reader.

Make sure you have in writing that she can return for exchange
when you purchase the digcam
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2004, 11:53 AM   #4

Numseey wrote:
Quote:
Im buying a digital camera as a gift for someone. I have been looking around and the 3 that seem to do the job and are in a similar price range are -

FujiFilm Finepix A210 3.2MP 3XZoom

Trust Powercam 910Z

Minolta Dimage E223

Can anyone advise me on which camera is the best, ot recommend a better one.

CHEERS!!!!!!!!

Seeing "Cheers" makes me think you must be in the U.K., and since I've never even heard of the "Trust Poweram" here (U.S.) I'll assume you're at least in Europe somewhere (?).

Someone mentioned a gift certificate and that really is the best choice, as they can pick what they want. If they mess up, it's not your fault.

However, if you hate giving certificates and actually want to buy a camera for them, consider the Canon A70 or newer A75 models. The A70 is dropping in price due to the new model, but both offer 3MP resolution, a 3X zoom, and a good movie mode. Can be used in full auto, or, they have tons of manual controls for when the person learns what they're doing down the road. Please do remember to budget for a larger memory card and some AA Ni-MH rechargeable batteries with these models.

Greg

atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2004, 9:10 PM   #5

A big question! Will this be the first digital camera for that person? If not, the best choice will be something to which that person is already familiar, specially if he/she is only going to use the camera for snapshots and won't pay much attention to the bells and whistles the camera offers.

I gave a Fuji A210 last Christmas and I chose that one because the person was already familiar with a Fuji 2650 and the A210 is very similar except that it is 3 MP vs. 2 MP. That was the most important factor when I chose which camera to get. Otherwise I would have gotten something a little better and similar to what I am familiar with.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2004, 5:29 PM   #6
lg

I'd recommend the Canon A70 or A80, if you want to look at others. I have also been pleased with any of the Olympus line. It depends greatly on who the camera is for... if it's for a budding photographer, you might want to get a full-featured camera that they can grow with; if it's for someone who's not as up to speed on all the technological advancements, you might want to keep it simple. All of the other answers are very good as well! Check out the reviews, and compare the sample photos if quality is what you desire.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2004, 11:20 PM   #7

I'm going to vote for the canon A70,75, or 80 I have a 70 I bought last year and the light metering system theyuse (DiDiC)is amazing. Point and shoot great shots, or go manual, + several other modes. Nice thing about the A80 is the adjustable led panel. The only complaint with my 70 is when viewing through the viewfinder what you see is not what you get....don't use it at all.:-D
Forgiven is offline   Reply With Quote