Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 29, 2004, 2:53 PM   #1

Default 3mp or 4 mp

Hello!
I am a complete newby in the digital world. Hope someone can help me
I will be taking mostly family pictures, vacations, school plays,...
mostly I'll print them in the normal size but I want to be able to print a4 sometimes aswell. The main thing for me is nice, clear pictures in an easy way.
I'm thinking that with the Nikon coolpix I'm on the right path but I can't decide between the 3 or 4mp. (3200 or the 4200 which will be released shortly) Will there be a big difference in quality? Is it worth spending the extra money for the 4mp?
Is there maybe another camera which you can advise?
Thank you very much for any help!
Ed
ed33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2004, 5:15 PM   #2
Administrator

3 Megapixel is the bare minimum for A4 or letter size photo quality prints.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2004, 5:25 PM   #3

So you mean that I should wait?
Maybe there is another make with the same quality but cheaper mp4 ? Or is it worth spending the extra on a nikon camera?
Thanks!!
Ed
Old Apr 29, 2004, 10:40 PM   #4

Default Re: 3mp or 4 mp

You will find all kinds of opinions about how large you can print with 3Mpixels - Steve is stating the most common opinion. It depends on a things like subject matter, viewing distance, and - most importantly - they eye of the beholder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed33
... Will there be a big difference in quality? Is it worth spending the extra money for the 4mp? ...
If all else is equal (it never is), a 4Mp camera will produce a print 15.47% [sqrt(4/3)] larger. Nice to have, but other features - such a lower price - can easily be more important.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2004, 2:33 AM   #5

Thanks! These are the differences exactly:
3mp-4mp;
lcd screen with 80000 pix - 110000 pix;
no iso positions-iso 80->400;
fixed opening time - opening f/2.8-f/4.8 closure:4-1/2000 sec internal memory:14,5-12;
fixed video format-one can choose the video format.
2 rechargable batteries- one rechargable battery
weight:140 gr- 155gr :
Price:€233+ and € 379+
That's it. Hope it is clear.
Is there anything here which I really usefull and worth waiting for, for me as a beginner?
I suppose that if I wait a few month the price of the cp 4200 will have dropped to the price I am planning to pay now for the cp 3200. Should I wait so not to regret it later or are these things not so important for me?
Thank you very much!!
Ed
Old Apr 30, 2004, 8:16 AM   #6

If you wait for the camera that exactly suits your purpose, you will never buy a digicam - there will always be a better one just about to come out. In addition, since this is your first digicam, you really don't know what features will turn out to be the most important to you.

Keep in mind that buying a digicam is more like buying a computer than buying a chemical camera - two days after the "no quesitons asked return policy" time runs out, there will be a better one that is cheaper.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2004, 8:38 AM   #7

You need to judge this one yourself.

How serious do you want to be with picture taking? If you just want a little camera that you can pull out of the sock drawer aim and shoot a few pictures at a family gathering. Then the cp3200 is fine and will be your best choice even if the price was the same on the other camera.

Or do you think you want to get a little more serious. Taking those pictures in the rain, close ups of flowers and other "artsy" things. Thats what all those extra features in the cp 4200 will give you but it is going to take a little more effort on your part. You will have to read the manual. You will need to learn to use a photoediting program. For some of us this is much of the fun of photography for others it is not.
CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2004, 9:08 AM   #8

Thanks for all youir replies!
The truth is that I would love to be able to take such beautifull pictures as I see in sites like this but I don't think I'm ready for that at the moment (I bought a camcorder a year ago which I do use but I haven't had time to play aroud yet with all the features and editing software.) so probably it'll be the same with the camera I'm going to buy. (anyway, for all those beautifull pics you prbably need a much better one all together) and besides that, my computer is not good enough for doing much editing.
So I think I'll go for the 3 mp one. If the quality of the pictures taken will be the same .

A stronger zoom I would like, to make good close ups of the kids but that only comes with bigger models, I seem to think.

Is this nikon a good choise?
So far, all the reviews I read were fine. Is there maybe someone around who has one?

Thanks again for making things much clearer!
Ed