Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old May 2, 2004, 10:43 AM   #1

Hi there,

I'm an utter photography novice. I have no idea about "exposure" and "iso" settings etc etc.

I've bought a Canon ixus 430 which seems to take very nice distant shots, but when it comes to close ups, it produces nothing but blurry, often unrecognisable images.

Am I to believe that this £300 camera isn't capable of taking such pictures? Or am I simply a complete flid?! yea, the second reason I bet....!

I've tried the "macro" mode which makes a slight difference, but the images are still blurry.
I've been trying to take a picture of a 50p coin filling the whole LCD screen at the highest resolution.

So, is there any advice for me? I'd be ever so grateful!

Cheers

Q
qzamir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2004, 11:05 AM   #2

Qzamir,

How close are these shots?Any idea what focal length and shutter speed you are using on some of these blurry shots?

thanks

mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2004, 2:14 PM   #3

Hi,

I've tried taking the pics from about 5cm to 30cm away.
At 5cm they are absolutely rubbish and barely visible.
At 30 cm, they are clear, but not much of a close up..

The shutter speed is 1".

the iso is set at 50.

And I'm afraid I have no idea about focal length, sorry.

cheers

Q
qzamir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2004, 5:24 PM   #4

Are you hand holding the camera or on a tripod? If you are hand holding, that is most likely the cause. I see you told me that your typical shutter speed is 1 sec. I wouldn't try anything below 1/30 (and that's really stretching it) without a tripod. If you are using a tripod, you still could be getting shake if you're pressing the shutter button to take the picture. If possible, I'd use a remote or use the auto timer so that you don't introduce shake. As far a the tripod is concernd, also make sure it is of good quality. If it is too flimsy, you still might have shake that you are not aware of.

I looked at the specs of your camera and it reported that you can get as close as 5cm, so you should be fine there unless you are also zoomed in. Some camera's report they'll go as close as 5cm, but only at certain focal lengths, so you'll want to look at that as well.

Hope this has helped you some .... and welcome to the forum by the way.

Michael
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2004, 8:15 PM   #5
Administrator

Although (as already pointed out), you'll still need a tripod with slower shutter speeds to prevent blur, I just want to make sure you are not overlooking the obvious.

In order to focus at close distances, you'll need to make sure that you have the camera in Macro Focus Mode (flower icon).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote