Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old May 3, 2004, 7:43 PM   #1

Hi! Im a total newbielooking for a nice camera to shoot some pictures of airplanes, especially during take-off.A friend of mine tried to shoot with his Sony p72 but it was justtoo slow! I am willing to spend up to about 400$.In this pricerange, do I even have achance of catching a bird? I amaware this is not an easy task for any camera, what is your best bet for a camera suited for this?I don't care much for options or megapixels, just a fast point-and-shoot camera. I could live with 3x zoom but more wouldn't hurt!Thank you very much for answers, it's apprechiated.
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 6, 2004, 6:08 PM   #2

I would keep my eyes open for a Nikon 5700 as prices drop, with the 8700 replacing it. It takes great shots and with an 8X optical zoom will get the pictures you want. Try and position yourself so the aircraft are coming towards you for the pictures and you should get some good ones.
Jim1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2004, 3:07 PM   #3

Hey! I'm also into aviation photography too. I use the Sony F717. First off--if you'd like, you can learn more about aviation photography at places like www.jetphotos.net/forums or www.airliners.net/discussions. Great place to start. Most of the people there shoot digital, although there are still the occasional few that still use slides.

Anyhow, I recommend a few cameras:

Sony F717 (5x optical, but excellent image quality)

Panasonic FZ10 (12x optical zoom + image stabilization)

Nikon 5700 (Although pictures are somewhat soft at 8x, but still a great camera)

Canon S1 IS (10x optical + image stabilization)

Olympus C-750 (10x optical)

Read the reviews here at Steve's and you can ask more aviation questions on the aviation photo forums at the two websites. I'm a member of JetPhotos.net since it's free.

Good luck! :|

CheckSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2004, 5:51 PM   #4

Hey, thanks for the tips, but those are too expensive. I don't mean to be bitchy but I wrote"about 400$", which is max for me.A nikon 5700 is about 800$ here (denmark, europe)... I have been thinking about a minolta Z1, but it's an older generation andI see kodak just released some new cameras which I will check out as well. Checksix: Im aware of both sites They'reexcellent! I prefer airliners.net for its high quality photos (which I use as windows background and speed but unfortunatly you can't write in the forums without paying, I tried since they wrote some bullsh*t about A300 and I work on the ramp so I know what it was about but I couldn't post without paying 25$ thanks alot for the tips anyhow, you got a link to your photos? PS. I just saw jetphotos.net got a photo forum. Thanks!
Old May 10, 2004, 3:45 PM   #5

Yeah I know, it's a pity Airliners.net is so darn expensive. I've learned a lot from just reading the messages there however. Jephotos.net is nice because of the free forums.

Anyhow, last time I checked the prices of the F717 was about $499USD, the Nikon 5700 was about $599USD, the FZ10 is about $400USD, Canon IS S1 was about $350USD, and the Oly C-750 was about $350USD. Not sure what that all translates into--is it the Euro? Is your budget 400USD or 400EURO? I'm not sure all what you could get for 400EURO. 3x optical isn't enough UNLESS you've got ramp access, which it sounds like you do (I envy you :-)). Then I think 3 or 4 optical would be fine.

I only have 5 photos in the JP.net database. I'll have to get the link...

Old May 10, 2004, 5:45 PM   #6

Well thoseare US prices. Cameras are more expensive here. Add about 100-200$. Yeah I have ramp access but I don't think you envy me, since I get the chance to be up see the excitment of the belly...I usually do evening/night shifts, and im limited to certain areas, so basically I need the camera to take photos on sundays... and 3x optical from the location where I want to shoot is unfortunatly just not enough. Right now I think I'll wait a bit, and try save up $. The HP 945 looks like a real killer camera. It's black (I don't like silver, it looks cheap IMO) and got 5mp 8x optical. It is 500$ here, about the same price as an Olympus 4mp 10x optical or a Z2. I wouldn't mind a cheaper camera andthere's the Fuji S3000/5000 or Z1 but I don't think they're worthsaving 100$ on...

Old May 11, 2004, 8:22 AM   #7

I did a currency converter on the Danish Kroner, and you are right, they are more expensive over there! I kept thinking you were in the U.S. () Sorry about that.

Anyhow, you might also look on eBay Germany, or Nederlands. I'm not sure if there is a Danish eBay.

Good luck!
Old May 11, 2004, 12:23 PM   #8

I have the Fuji S5000, and I've been really happy with it; it seems to me to be a great camera. I would agree with you on the S3000, though. It feels nice in the hand, but I've not heard nearly as many good things about it as the s5000 or the s7000. There's no manual focus on the s3000, either, which was a downer for me.
Guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote