Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old May 4, 2004, 5:15 PM   #1

Ok, so I'm going to a truck show next week and am planning on taking a lot of pictures. I have a Canon S30 and am confused on which resolution and quality to set it at. I've taken all of my pictures so far at 640x480 and superfine. This give me a lot of pictures on one card, but I'm wanting to go bigger in size.

My camera has four sizes, 2048x1536, 1600x1200, 1024x768, and 640x480, and three resolutions, superfine, fine, and regular.

I've had the camera over a year and have never printed one picture so being able to make 8x10's to frame isn't any big deal. We look at the pictures on the computer, so I would doubt I need the largest size or anything.

I have a 128mb card and ordered a 256mb card today to take with me. I want to take a lot of pictures during the show. Which resolution and quality would work the best?

I tried taking pictures of the same object with all of the available combinations, and honestly, other than the image size, I couldn't tell much quality difference. Can a small picture get away with less quality and still look as good as a big picture with good quality? I'm confused.

Thanks
cdogg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 5, 2004, 4:43 AM   #2

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...solution.shtml

What Resolution Do I Need?

"The final question is —how big is big enough? The answer depends on the device that your image will appear or be printed on. For example, images on-screen typically need a maximum of 72 PPI. If a file has higher resolution than that it simply looks no different on screen. The only real difference will be that the file will be bigger and will therefore be slower to download. All images on this site are at 72 ppi, regardless of their size."

Hope that helps.
SRSpawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2004, 4:52 AM   #3

http://www.ofoto.com/PhotoTipsResolution.jsp

How are pixels measured?

"The number of pixels captured by your digital camera's electronic chip is measured in terms of resolution. High resolution images are made up of more pixels than low resolution images (and thus result in better prints). Cameras' maximum resolutions are usually clearly indicated on the packaging or even on the camera itself. If your camera has a resolution of 640 x 480 pixels or lower, it's considered a web camera and is best used for viewing images on a computer screen rather than making photographic prints. If your camera has a resolution listed in "megapixels" (millions of pixels per image), then it's suitable for getting prints."
SRSpawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2004, 10:20 AM   #4

cdogg44 wrote:
Quote:
Ok, so I'm going to a truck show next week and am planning on taking a lot of pictures. I have a Canon S30 and am confused on which resolution and quality to set it at. I've taken all of my pictures so far at 640x480 and superfine. This give me a lot of pictures on one card, but I'm wanting to go bigger in size.

My camera has four sizes, 2048x1536, 1600x1200, 1024x768, and 640x480, and three resolutions, superfine, fine, and regular.

I've had the camera over a year and have never printed one picture so being able to make 8x10's to frame isn't any big deal. We look at the pictures on the computer, so I would doubt I need the largest size or anything.

I have a 128mb card and ordered a 256mb card today to take with me. I want to take a lot of pictures during the show. Which resolution and quality would work the best?

I tried taking pictures of the same object with all of the available combinations, and honestly, other than the image size, I couldn't tell much quality difference. Can a small picture get away with less quality and still look as good as a big picture with good quality? I'm confused.

Thanks
If you're sure that you won't be printing the pictures, I would use the 640x480 setting. That size is big enough for viewing on a computer.

As for the superfine, fine, or regular settings (the amounts of compression), I don't know how much your camera compresses, so I wouldn't know which would be a good choice.
JerryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2004, 10:38 AM   #5
Administrator

Well, you mentioned wanting to go bigger in size in your initial post. So, that tells me that you want to see the images on screen at a larger than 640x480 size.

As monitor technology advances, more users will probably want to see them at larger sizes.

I think the majority of users probably have their monitor resolution set to either 800x600 or 1024x768 now. Although, I do know of some users that go 1600x1200 Monitor Resolution on larger monitors.

Personally, I'd take them at the largest size, then downsize them later for onscreen viewing using software. I suspect that you can probably do a better job outside of the camera anyway. Bear in mind, thatyour camera is taking the photos at a full 3 Megapixels. Then, it must downsize the photos (either by "throwing away" pixels, or using an interpolation algorithm to downsize them).

One free package that can resize photos is irfanview (downloadable from http://www.irfanview.com). I use the Lanczos option (under the resize/resample menu) for both upsizing and downsizing photos.

Also, if you take them at the largest size, you'll have more flexibility (cropping the photo for better composition), with the ability to make prints if desired. You never know when you'll get a nice shot that you want to print at 8x10".

For print (versus onscreen) purposes, here is a handy chart with popular print sizes and desired resolution:

http://www.cordcamera.com/products/d...ct_ratios.html

As far as JPEG compression, this is a matter of personal preference. Some users can spot the difference between Extra Fine and Fine. Some can't. For most purposes, I think Fine would probably be good enough (but again, you never know when you'll get a shot that you want to print at a larger size, and the less compression, the better).

After all, Memory Cards are very inexpensive now.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2004, 4:18 PM   #6

My monitor resolution is set to 1280x1024. It's a 17" LCD. Like I said, 99.9% of these pictures are going to be viewed on my computer, and I doubt that if I was to print them I would be printing large sizes.

I recieved my new 256MB card today (props to Amazon.com, I ordered it Tuesday afternoon) and it combined with my 128MB card should hold plenty of pictures for the weekend.

Right now, I think I'm going to take the pictures at 1024x768 and "fine". I think this is going to give me a better balance of size, quality, and amount of pictures.

Final question. Which would be the smarter move if I decide to take less pictures. Change the resolution to 1600x1200 or the quality to "superfine" and keep the current resolution of 1024.768. Either one gives me almost the exact same amount of available pictures. Which change would be the smarter move?

Thanks
cdogg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2004, 4:30 PM   #7
Administrator

cdogg44 wrote:
Quote:
Final question. Which would be the smarter move if I decide to take less pictures. Change the resolution to 1600x1200 or the quality to "superfine" and keep the current resolution of 1024.768. Either one gives me almost the exact same amount of available pictures. Which change would be the smarter move?
Well, if it were me, I'd take all of them at the full 3 megapixels resolution. Again, you never know when you'll get a really nice photo that you'll want to print at larger sizes (or someone elses sees, and wants to make a print of).

If your posting your photos online,sometimes, people viewing them will want to make prints (especially at important events, family gatherings, etc.). So, the better the image quality, the better the print. Memory Cards are very inexpensive (and they're reusable, so it's not like you're throwing the money away).

However, to answer your question, I'd probably go with the Higher resolution and Fine.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote