Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Sep 6, 2002, 6:21 PM   #1

Default Nikon Coolpix4500?

Hi!
Im a digital Newbie and I want to buy my first digital in the next days!
My choice is the Nikon Coolpix4500!
My question: Is this a good camera for a beginner? Is an 4x optical zoom enough (I know only the coolpix5700 with 8x but this camera is too expensive for me, and the 4500 is smaller!)
I am a student from Vienna and I want to take the camera everytime with me

What is your opinion about my situation or this camera?
Please help me! Thanks in advance
Greets Chris
sirweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2002, 7:00 PM   #2

I bought the CP4500 after waiting over 2 years for new Coolpix cameras with the swivel lens and I really, really like it.

The camera is up there at $700 or so and you should factor in a large CF card, extra battery, case, filters, and other items you may need into your choice.

4x Optical is ok, but one thing about the CP4500 is you can buy the 3x tele or other lenses to give you more options later, but that means more $$$ spent as well.

I'm an amateur who has never owned a digicam before the 4500 and only used a few models my friends and family had, but within 3 days of messing around and reading the instructions I was good to go in all modes, even full manual mode.

The camera is a little big for a pocket, but a purse or small camera bag works well.

If this model is within your price range I don't think you will be disappointed and you should have a great time taking photos, messing around with settings, and learning about your new digicam.

Best of luck!
Jaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2002, 8:50 AM   #3

Thanks Jaseball!

Can anybody else tell me something about this camera? I think I get it in the next week

Greetz Chris
Old Sep 8, 2002, 2:53 PM   #4

You're welcome.

Make sure to attach the lens cap to the included string and camera body, so you won't lose it.

You need at least one extra battery. The battery low indicator is near useless and not having juice when you need it stinks.

The pictures come out sharp if you get the settings right or don't mind flash photos. The focus in low light is not as good as it could be.

Some of the pre-set modes seem to be near useless, but I could be using them wrong or not used to it.
Jaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2002, 5:08 PM   #5

Have you handled the 4500? It's a fine camera, but I personally don't like the swivel design. Others love it. You need to handle the camera and close competitors to see if you have a strong preferrence in feel.

Bob
Robert Eastburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2002, 1:13 PM   #6

Thanks for reply Bob!
Yes I handled the CP4500, and have a CP995 at school. I like the swivel design, cause I go often to concerts and so I can take a photo overhead and can look easily on the LCD display! I think this is a usefull feature!

Thanks again Bob and Jaseball too!

Chris
Old Sep 15, 2002, 5:16 AM   #7

first of all, i don't have the Cp4500 myself, but if you consider it, you should be aware of it's shutter lag, which - according to some reviews I've read - is quite high compared to it's competition (G2, S602...) so if you're planning to shoot moving objects a lot you might want to choose another camera. Otherwise I think it's a great camera!

You might want to check the review on this site and on
http://www.dpreview.com/
http://www.imaging-resource.com/
artschi is offline   Reply With Quote