Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old May 16, 2004, 9:54 PM   #1
fng

hi people , was hoping i might find some help. looking to replace my olympus infinity zoom 210 with its digital equivalent. the olympus has been great , like an old friend , but it seems like they want to do away with the old cameras by charging so much money for film development. have looked at some of the cameras on this web page and the selection is mind numbing.:O
any ideas for a new camera would be greatly appreciated thanks fng
fng is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2004, 11:47 AM   #2

You might narrow your choices based on price, features and whether you will ever want a large blowup (Mp).

http://www.myproductadvisor.com/mpa/...nputSummary.do

Then cross check the recommended cameras:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html

http://www.imaging-resource.com/WB/WB.HTM
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2004, 8:32 PM   #3
fng

thanks for the reply slipe. after some more reading it seems people have done what you suggested . research and compare. the links you provided were great and it did give me some ideas.
canon powershot S50 ( nice little black camera.)
olympus D-560 zoom ( anthor nice little camera )
olympus C-5060 (too much camera for a novice ?)
olympus C-500 ( nice , but real shiny )
minolta dimage Z1 ( ugly little bugger )

any ideas ? thanks again for the help and of course any and all suggestions are greatly apprecieted :-) fng

Old May 18, 2004, 9:23 AM   #4

The S50 is a very competent camera. You give up some pocketability for features you might not use. Things like raw and interval timer are appealing to me, but you might be happier with something you can carry more easily. Shutter lag isn't great. Given a choice I will take silver over black because a black camera gets too hot in the Florida sun. But black looks nicer. I don't think I would choose a camera based on finish though.

The Oly 5060 trades wide angle for a rather stingy telephoto. Wide angle is nice but you can do well taking panorama shots with the camera held vertically to get 28m shots from a 38mm lens that print in normal formats. Any camera you get will work fine in program with the default settings until you want to learn more. A digital camera is a great way to learn the features since shots are free and you get quick feedback.

I'm not familiar with the Oly C500. I have had an Oly C50 for almost 2 years and can't find a lot to fault with the camera. I have more photos taken with that than with my larger cameras because it is always with me in a little leather belt pouch. The Pentax 550/555 wasn't available when I bought it or I would have gone with that. Same size camera with a 5X zoom. The Pentax 555 is a better camera than the 550.

I would also have chosen the Minolta G500 over the C50 had it been available because of the smaller size. The new Minolta G600 looks like it might be really good, but I haven't seen a review yet. Both are a bargain.

The only thing I see in the Oly 560 to recommend it is that it is cheap. Plan on buying NiMH batteries and a charger in addition to expensive xD memory.

The Z1 is a completely different animal. If you want a powerful telephoto and aren't concerned about it fitting in a pocket it is a nice camera. The Z2 gives more pixels. The Oly 750/770 are also nice. I really like the features and size of the Oly 765.

Stabilization makes a big difference with a 10X telephoto lens. You can get sharp images without a tripod in more situations. The Canon S1 is reasonably compact with stabilization but only 3Mp. The Panasonic FZ10 is 12X and stabilized with 4Mp, but it is bulky.

Oly and Fuji use xD memory which is pricey and dead-end. It will likely never be used in anything but Oly and Fuji products. Oly screws you twice around by making you buy Oly brand cards if you want to use the panorama function in the camera. Canon has stuck with CF, which is the least expensive. The SM used in most small cameras is almost as cheap as CF now for higher performance cards and can be used in palmtops, MP3 players etc. It will also probably continue as the memory of choice for small cameras in the future. Canon has even started using it in their small cameras. Plan on having to buy a memory card as cameras never come with enough memory.

You seem motivated by the looks of a camera more than most. You should go into a store and handle some.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2004, 1:24 PM   #5
fng

thanks for the info. unfortunately pictures on the inter-net are the only reference i have since starting my search for a new camera .i'm concerned with the young , inexperienced staff at the discount stores and the high mark up at the camera stores. it's all still very confusing although your help has been very helpful. what canon would you recommend for decent pictures , some manual functions and a decent zoom lens. size it not a real issue if it preforms well and $400-$500 seems like a good range. would like to spend less , but was told nothing less than 3 mega pixels is acceptable. really appreciate the help. hope i'm not being too much of a nuisance. just hate going into a store blind thanks fng
Old May 20, 2004, 10:58 AM   #6
fng

hi , me again. was wondering what camera or feature would facilitate better night photos ? no flash , long exposure type of pictures . still trying fng:?
Old May 22, 2004, 4:17 PM   #7

The FZ10 has optical stabilization (there are actually gyroscopes in the lens!) that makes hand-held long-exposure shots a hell of a lot easier.

Unfortunately, you're not fitting it into any pocket I'VE seen. :?

It's still a great, great camera, though. It's served me well and has been more durable than I'd ever imagined. (I'm a photojournalist who unwinds by shooting people who don't want to be photographed...)
Red Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2004, 11:08 PM   #8
fng

ah ha ! very interesting. 4 meg ,zoom lens ,high iso ,big lcd screen ( i'm learning ) the panasonic FZ10 is now in my top ten list. thanks for the info , red viper :-) went to see some ice sculptures last winter at night. used a tri-pod ,timer, no flash with old film camera and that is what got me thinking about night photos. something else that was interesting is the operating temperature figures for these digital cameras. 32-112 f ? is this really a factor ? enjoy winter activities , so allot of my pictures are in the cold weather and at night. like my handle says, " f**king new guy" , so i really appreciate all the help fng