Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old May 30, 2004, 10:11 PM   #1

I have Panasonic FZ10 with Histogram. Can some one explain what is the way to use it. Obviously if it is all white then picture is overexposed and otherwise. But how one determine correct exposure by looking at histogram under various ligthining conditions. Like brightly lit background(Sky)in the soccer field etc. Is it supposed to be like a bell shped thing or diffent areas of histogram refers to different light in differnt parts of the frame. I am totally clueless here (among other things)

Thanks

aghauri
aghauri is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 30, 2004, 11:13 PM   #2
Administrator

Check out this page over at Luminous Landscape:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...stograms.shtml

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2004, 12:17 AM   #3

Thanks, very usefull informative article. Correct me if i am wrong this is what i understood. Essentially if histogram is too much towards the left it is underexposed and if it too much over the right it is overexposed picture in general. Now where shoud be the histogram for the three players running in the soccer field running towards the camera with bright sunlight towards their back. I guess in the 4rth zone (next to the last) in order for their faces/ expressions to be seenaccepting somewhat overexposure of the back ground. I will try some experiments with similar situations as my sons soccer season is over now and try to get a feel of it.

Thanks,

aghauri
Old May 31, 2004, 3:00 PM   #4

When I got my D7i I always left the histogram in the viewfinder and tried to consult it whenever there was time. After a while I didn't notice it except for when I consulted it. And after a while learned to relate the scene to the histogram.

You seem to be well along the way to understanding. It takes some people a long time to realize they have to disregard some indications and have the histogram squeezed against the right if there is a large white area that you don't need texture in. Or a large black area against the left you don't need shadow detail in.

The histogram works in spot metering and it might be better in some situations. I use spot metering a lot, and always keep the histogram in the display. It will keep you from blowing highlights. It has always been a minor irritation to me that I have to go to the menu to switch to spot metering with the FZ10, but it is fairly easy to access.

There are many situations where you want full metering. I think you already have a better handle on what it is telling you than I did when I started using one. Basically if you have the histogram squished against the right side you are blowing highlights. Sometimes you don't mind that if the area causing the indication doesn't need detail. The histogram doesn't increase the limited dynamic range, but it helps you make judgements on how you want to use that range.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2004, 12:03 PM   #5

Well that understanding came from the article Steve send a link to. You mentioned that it works with spot metering. With Fz10 there appears a plus sign in the middle with the spot metering Does this mean that camera only registers the exposure and focus from that small spot or it take multilple spots and the average it out. Also why Histogram works best with the spot metering instead of average.