Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 1, 2004, 7:05 PM   #1

When I try to take a picture there appears a little black box that looks something like this... ?CARD. The camera won't take pictures and it won't show me stored pictures either. I have tried formatting the CompactFlash card and replacing it with a new one to no avail. Does anyone have any ideas what to do? Thank you.
birthdayfairy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 1, 2004, 9:06 PM   #2
Administrator

Are you formatting the CompactFlash Cards with the camera? According to one review I read,your camerawas unable to recognize CompactFlash Cards, unless they were formatted by the camera.

Note that most newer PC operating systems use a 32-bit FAT, that is not compatible with most cameras anyway, since FAT16 is used by most cameras. You can usually get around this by selecting FAT when formatting (Win'XP will format using a 16-bit FAT when you select "FAT"). But, this may not work with your camera anway....

The same review mentioned that some Card Readers were unable to read the 8MB CompactFlash Card supplied with the camera. So, this implies that the camera could be using a non-standard FAT (File Allocation Table). In other words, it may be proprietary to the camera (versus the standard FAT16 used by most models).

If you have already tried formatting the cards in camera, and still get the same error; you may want to make sure you don't have any bent pins where the CompactFlash Card plugs in to the camera (use a flashlight, and look into the CF slot at the pins).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2004, 9:16 PM   #3

I've tried all of those good pieces of advice and still nothing. I appreciate you trying.
birthdayfairy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2004, 1:55 AM   #4

Check the card connector in the camera, a few pins might be bend,if so take it to a service store, or send it to the manufacturer.
Jorge Li is offline   Reply With Quote