Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 9, 2004, 3:43 PM   #1

I am in the process of looking at both a new digital camera, as well as a larger size compact flash card. I think I have decided on the Canon S1, but want more than the standard 32MB card that comes with it. A lot of these website have some pretty sweet deals on accessory packages which include the compact flash card.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I called one of the companies and they indicated that their CF's were manufactured by either PQI or Digital Visions. My basic question is "Do you get what you pay for here?" Is there quality considerations, time lag considerations, etc. If so, what would the general well informed public recommend for either a 256MB or 512MB CF? Thanks in advance for all you help and experience.

Paul

Boyne7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2004, 4:24 PM   #2

Go Sandisk

My Sandisk media(s) (Compact Flash and Smartmedia) have never failed.

Granted, this is a very subject trial of one customer.

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2004, 8:19 PM   #3

I just purchased a Canon S70 camera from Butterfly Camera and ordered a

SanDisk Extreme 512MB Compact Flash, and they substituted a Digital Vision

High Speed CF. I don't know if this is the same thing, but don't like the bait

and switch routine. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.
ilumen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2004, 9:59 PM   #4
Administrator

ilumen wrote:
Quote:
I just purchased a Canon S70 camera from Butterfly Camera and ordered a

SanDisk Extreme 512MB Compact Flash, and they substituted a Digital Vision

High Speed CF. I don't know if this is the same thing, but don't like the bait

and switch routine. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.
Well... I would not have ordered from them to begin with, but others have been satisifed.

I assume you're talking about Butterfly Photo (at http://www.butterflyphoto.com ).

I do not see the Sandisk Extreme Cards even listed on their web site. I do see the Digital Vision brand cards on their web site. So, given the commisson structures you see with some companies, and the desire to fill the order, I could speculate as to what happened (but I won't).

If it were me (and I'm not recommending that you take this route -- only telling you what I would do), I'd talk to someone in their management about it (making sure not to open the shrink wrap packaging for the card, since most vendors won't take back a memory card that's been opened). The easiest route would be to return it for a refund (disputing the restocking fee).

If I didn't get satisfaction, I'd dispute the charge with my credit card company, then complain via http://www.resellerratings.com, http://www.bbb.org, etc. Of course, it may be more time consuming than it's worth monetarily (but I'd probably go this route strictly on principal).

Do you have anything in writing about the card you ordered? Since it's not even listed as an available item on their web site, this could be a "hard sell" (your word against theirs).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2004, 3:48 PM   #5

Quote:
ordered a SanDisk Extreme 512MB Compact Flash, and they substituted a Digital Vision High Speed CF. I don't know if this is the same thing,
No, they are definately NOT the same thing. Sandisk Exteme 512 are Ultra II cards that read at 80x, can withstand extremely COLD weather and have a lifetime warranty. In my opinion, they are the best cards you can buy. You get what you pay for.... That is not to say the card you got is bad, it will most likely work just fine in your cameara for day to day use. Sandisk Extreme cards are speacial purposed cards and may be overkill for your use. As for the Bait and switch that is a problem. If you paid Sandisk Extreme PRICE and got something a cheaper card,you got ripped off.
minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2004, 7:27 PM   #6

Since Canon S1 IS has a good movie mode, it is best to get a card that can record the movie without problems. This requires a high speed card. Check the following thread (on another site) and only get a card that is compatible:

CF cards compatible with S1 IS video mode

Unless money is really tight, I would stay with brand names like Lexar, Sandisk, etc and ignore the no-name cheap ones.

If you care about video, you also need a VERY LARGE memory card (you need around 1 GB to record 9 minutes of video!).

Memory cards usually have special deals every few months so look around for deals. I have S1 IS and I bought a Lexar 1 GB 40x speed for US$40 after mail-in-rebate (US$70 without mail-in-rebate). (In Canada, stores like Future Shop and Best Buy have deals every few weeks it seems. You will see rebates for Sandisk one week, then Lexar another week, then Kingston another week, and so on. Look around and check out their flyers (or online))

If you don't care about the video then don't worry about getting a high speed card or one that is large (but in such a case, a camera like Panasonic FZ3 is better than S1 IS).

Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote