Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 11, 2004, 6:14 AM   #1

:?:I am getting a new digital camera and there is that much out there I don't no where to start, so if any of you can help me with maybe three good digital cameras that would be good for a beginner, I would be grateful I can scrape together 150 to 200 pounds
joe99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 11, 2004, 1:02 PM   #2

The first question...what do you want to shoot (birds (long zoom), concerts (low light), sports (action), or just average?

Second question, how much film camera experience do you have (i.e. SLR where you understand terms like aperture and shutter speed, and know how to adjust them, or are you a point&shooter)?

Questions like those is what you have to ask yourself before you can decide on a camera.

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 4:49 AM   #3

Thank you for your reply to my question.
(Point&shooter) that is me and what I want the camera for is to catch images that I can draw or paint. Landscapes, still life, that sort of thing. low light isn't a problem but catching the light right is important .
I know I need to learn a lot more, so if you can point me in the right direction, I would be grateful.
joe99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2004, 2:10 PM   #4

Two questions before I start recomending anything:

Your budget is 150-200- does that include memory, batteries etc.?

Would you buy from Ebay- you can get brand new cameras under manufacturers warranty etc. for considerable saving....

jakeusticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2004, 2:35 AM   #5

For about $270 USD, you can get a Canon A80. This converts to just about 150 pounds, so it's where you want it. It has a 4MP CCD imager, 3x optical zoom, 11x total zoom, and a rotating LCD screen at 1.5 inches. It has huge manual control options, so you can learn a lot if you want, and it has excelent image quality and color reproduction. It is a very good camera, has the option to buy extra lens attachments, and uses AA batteries or AA sized NiMh, which I highly reccommend. I just ordered one on amazon.com, and I am very excited!

Good Luck!
DrDictionary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2004, 7:19 AM   #6

I just looked on Amazon UK and the price of the A80 is £218. I got an A60 from them in March as my first ever camera for £100. I'm not sure they still do the A60 but you could consider one of the other Canon's like the A70, A75 or A80. I ordered my camera from Amazon on aMonday morning and it was delivered to the door on Tuesday afternoon. :-)
jackrussell is offline   Reply With Quote