Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 13, 2004, 8:02 AM   #11

hi spawn,

the 3 cameras i liked more, see post above records in AVI mode, so i should get a program to convert AVI to VCD or SVCD. i get some shareware movies but get some problems to use as all 3 cameras uses avi 640 x 480 30fps when i try to convert to vcd1 ou vcd 2 ou svcd i cant get the 640x480 options, some times says the file have a problem some times says this option is for mpeg1, why are so complicated i have a AVI and want to see it on tv whats so complicated in that. i am not asking for editing change sound, put text, just wanna see the way its recorded (at least now..)

by the way as you suggested z1 is out but i saw the z2 movie and dont like, but the movie itself couldnt do any better ill try to find another one
cordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2004, 4:52 PM   #12

Another camera to consider is the Nikon Coolpix 3700. It does movies at the 640x480 at 30 fps up to the capacity of your memory card. I like the fact that this camera wide angle range is at 35mm, not 38mm like some of the cameras you listed. This makes it much easier to take group pictures indoors. I also really like the fact that this camera is so light and small that I end up taking it with me everywhere and get the shots that I would miss with my larger cameras. However this camera is only a 3.2 MP camera. If you need more than that, then look elsewhere.

You will need to get a good high speed SD card to get rid the audio / video synchronization problem that all the review sites mention (but none of them seem to know that the high speed card fixes this problem - I confirmed this fix with Nikon before buying my high speed card). However you would want the high speed card anyway if you intended to use the high quality movie mode for more than just a few seconds. I also prefer to turn the continous focus off to get rid of the clicking sound of the camera refocusing - and I have not seen any difference in the focus. I guess most videos I shoot don't have that large of a change in the focal distance.
Beverly W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2004, 8:00 PM   #13

Hi, thanks,i havent noticed this model, now i took a look and it seems very good at a good price(one of the best i saw until now)i saw a sample movie that i liked a lot 640 x 480 30fps. the problem of making movies is the memory, i saw here a 256Mb ultra SD card for US$140 and i can record about 4 minutes. i really dont know if i buy a cancorder that takes photo like JVC gr-dv200 or a camera like this that can do movies, the problem is that i love photos and put it on cds to seen on tv, but i have 2child, one with 1 year and 2 months and my wife says we should record our child to remember (forgive my english) i really dont know what to do and doesnt have money to buy separated devices
Old Jun 22, 2004, 1:27 AM   #14

You should also have a look at the pentax optio mx which is going to be in the shops in the very near future.

I was planning to get the nikon but when I saw this one I deceided to wait. It has 10 x zoom which one can use during filming too. It films on mpeg4 so you can film much longer on a smaller memory card and it is very compact. I just hope the revieuws will be good.

http://www.pentaxusa.com/news/news_d...fm?pressid=192

There is also the sanyo /fisher but the picture quality is not fantastic and thats the most important.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...256657-8181461

Good luck !

Ed
ed33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2004, 1:28 AM   #15

TMPGenC is a software to convert AVI to VCD/SVCD. Results are very good if you use the "high quality" settings, eats a lot of your PC ressources though.

I am looking for a good allround cam with movie mode and came to look at the Olympus 770 UZ.
  • 10xZoom[/*]
  • 4 mp CCD[/*]
  • lots of size/compression/format seetings for photographs[/*]
  • good picture quality according to reviews[/*]
  • better indoor/low light AF than the Canon S1 IS (at least from my short tests, am now looking for a good price in a local store to have the chance to return it if I was wrong with that)
[/*]
So the "picture part" seems ok. Now for the movie.
  • AVI's 640x480 at 15fps max, lower resolutions available too[/*]
  • MPEG-4 640x480 at 30fps ==> very high compression, a little less overall quality, but quite long videos on a XD card (according to dcrp review 46 s MPEG-4 on 16 MB XD card, 24+ minutes movie on a 512 MB card)
[/*]
It's pretty small and not too heavy. Maybe you have a look at this cam? Good luck.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2004, 7:18 AM   #16

hi thanks a lot,i will look at it, do you record your movies to see on tv? in what format?. Does anybody knows what cameras uses this mpeg4 compression besides 770 to compare?, i think this willl help me (20 minutes of movie is reasonable in a camera for me) but what i want to know when i burn it in a cd it will be good to watch on tv anybody knows? what resolution can i get? i will be able to record in vcd, svcd or dvd format, i have a 44" thanks
Old Jun 22, 2004, 2:18 PM   #17

Calm down mate Nice I could help ya

So here's basically what I did:
  • I took the Canon S1 IS and Fuji F700 for tests and made several movies in all available resolutions. [/*]
  • 640x480 at 15fps is all I need to be happy - the Canon S1 IS has good image quality there - 30 fps look more grainy for some reason on PC [/*]
  • I processed the AVI files with the RiverPast VideoCleaner (Url is http://www.riverpast.com- get you a demo there - only prints a watermark on the movie). [/*]
  • Destination File type AVI, compressor Microsoft Windows Media Video 9. I used "original size" settings and framerate 25 fps-PAL (but I guess NTSC will work simular) [/*]
  • Audio on standard (44,1 kHz - CD quality) [/*]
  • Result was TMPGEnC compatible (search in Web for it and grab a demo too), output was made to SVCD standard format with quality settings to "highest" [/*]
  • the resulting MPG file was burned on a standard CDRW using NTI CD&DVD maker in SVCD format and my Pioneer DVD player plays the movies very well.[/*]
You can interpolate the 320x240 movies to SVCD resolution as well and it wasn't too bad, but I'd really recommend to stick at 640x480 at 15fps.

The butterfly demo from the japanese Olympus side someone mentioned was processed the same way and came out nicely, same for the "road movies" provided by dcresource. In general MPEG-4 looks a bit smoother - I mean softer really... for quality I'd stick with AVI. For precise motion MPEG-4. The Oly 770 has both so the choice is yours. Thats the sweet thing with the Oly 770. Downside is XD card with max. 512MB - gives around 24 minutes MPEG-4. The Oly 5060 WZ has CF + XD slot so you could equip a whooping 4GB microdrive + 512 MB XD giving you over 70 mins AVI at 640x480 and 15 fps if the compression ratio for the AVI's is about the same on the Olympus and Canon. On the other hand - the 770 is smaller and you can get you a X-drive for longer trips. Movie scenes are some seconds to a minute or two mostly so you have plenty of space on both cams.

Note: Video and Audio was processed and TMPGEnc eliminated some heavy wind noise much to my surprise. It wasn't gone but not so disturbing - maybe only a effect of PC speaker vs. 5.1 surround speakers - who knows?

I can't give you a demo file here since the converted butterfly is around 4,2 MB and file size limit for attachments applies :/

But I am sure you can try for yourself - good luck with your search for the right cam. I already have the "I like it" approval from my wife for the 770 (the 5060 was too big for her) so I guess I have to live with the 35 mm wide and use the panorama mode now and then. Am eager to try the cam for photos now and hope for results as good as with the Canon S1 IS - would be happy then.

Don't have a clue what the Oly software is like ... both the Fuji and Canon stuff have pros and cons.

Regards
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2004, 7:12 PM   #18

ed33 wrote:
Quote:
"You should also have a look at the pentax optio mx "
it "seems"really good one and cheaper than the oly 770 but is not for sale they say june, today is 22th, where is it??? well the other one is TOO damn expensive US$ 800. well ill be looking for the optio, thanks anyway
Old Jun 22, 2004, 7:46 PM   #19

thkn777i cant slow down i want to buy till the end of next week a camera or camcorder and havent decided yet

what model is your Pioneer DVD player ? can you zoom the image to take out the black rectangles upper and below the image? my dvd i think doesnt accept a svcd cd-r, i probably will change it cause i want a progressive scan also to use with my new tv, until i dont buy it i think i will be limited at VCD resolutions that are not very good.

where can i download The butterfly demo from the japanese Olympus ?

Fisher FVDC1 is the same of SANYO XACTI C1, well the price is the same of oly 770, which one is the better choice?

thanks a lot you all but still didnt decide, any MORE suggestions will be welcome
Old Jun 23, 2004, 1:21 AM   #20

The oly for sur takes better pictures than the Sanyo/fisher as I read in the revieuws. It is more a 'real' camera.

I think I'm going to wait for the pentax... you can read more here and compare the different cameras

http://www.crkennedy.com.au/content/home.html

Good luck.
The oly and the Canon s1 is are very good but less compact.
ed33 is offline   Reply With Quote