Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 30, 2004, 6:34 AM   #41

ed33 wrote:
Quote:
The specs of the samsung are indeed very good but if I look at the review of the excisting samsung (U CA 3 - I think) I see that the pics quality is not fantastic and the shutterlag*That one also has the mpeg4 movie mode.

I can't believe the new models will be much of a difference.

Ed
could you please send me link of this review? by the way whats shutterlag? theres something to do with the problem with sound when doing video that has syncronization problems? is it? thanks
cordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2004, 7:47 AM   #42

My pleasure

I stumbled over these two while looking for a cam for me. Both are not in store here in Germany. No Reviews for the Samsung afaik.

Well 15fps isn't too bad at all you know? Have you ever tried it? If not - try to get your hands on a camera that can do it and test. I thought the same and changed my mind. 15 fps is enough to "tell the story". There's the odd case when you need "fluid movements" - ok. But that's seldom I think.

Although everybody's saying you need 25 fps to have good quality, thats not true for all cases. I had a super-8 analog filmcamera with projector and I know that up from 16 fps themovie becomes "fluid", although not high quality. So 15fps isn't bad - really.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2004, 9:33 AM   #43

Here you have steves review on the older model

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...imax_uca3.html

Shutterlag is a big problem by alot of digital cameras. It means the time from when you press the button till the actual picture is taken.

Ed
ed33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2004, 2:26 PM   #44

The pentax is comming...the specs are already on their site:

http://www.pentaxusa.com/products/ca...roductid=18127

My main interests are the quality of the pics and the shutterlag and comfort in holding it . If these are ok than...

The plusses are: mpeg 4, the possibility of zooming while videoing, the movable lcd.

I've seen the Kyocera M410R in 'real' today and it feels good but the movie is not mpeg4 (I seem to think) and no manual exposure. But if the pentax is not so good I might go for that one.

Some relation of mine is in the States till next week. Maybe there'll be a review before that and will the camera be in the shops on time so she can bring me one back...But I'm not sure how that works with warranty by pentax? Does anyone have some experience about thet?

Ed

Old Jul 1, 2004, 9:32 AM   #45

Got my Oly 770 yesterday after hard bargaining Unfortunately there seems to be a serious problem in optics or the CCD chip - I have two areas in the picture to produce fancy artifacs :O:sad:But thats what warranty is for I guess.

First impression:
  • I miss the IS of the Canon S1 IS in telephoto's and/or low light shots[/*]
  • the AF hunting is not the fastest, but the camera is able to lock focus better than the Canon. The display/EVF gains up brightness and after some time the cam gets focus. Nothing for action shots in low light.[/*]
  • Red Eye reduction worked quite well[/*]
  • The MPEG-4 mode is great if the cam stands still and you capture a motion. It becomes blurry when you pan too fast. The provided Video-software can convert from MPEG-4 to AVI. I processed the movie with TMPGEnc and quality was ok for me.
[/*]
Further tests can be done this weekend I think. Good luck to all of you with your hunt!
Old Jul 1, 2004, 1:11 PM   #46

Enjoy it!!!!

Just one question What is better about AVI than mpeg4?

Thank you!

Ed
Old Jul 1, 2004, 1:18 PM   #47

thkn777, have you looked at all at the Kyocera M410R? What do you think of it?

THanks!
Old Jul 1, 2004, 2:13 PM   #48

Regarding AVI vs. MPEG: I find AVI's a little clearer - think of it more as a super-high-speed (15 fps) shooting than a movie. MPEG-4 looks softer and you see a bit more artifacts.

Thanks for the wishes

All I read about the Kyocera was that the movie mode was very bad (wasn't it on Steves review???) - but maybe I mix things up here.

Regards
Old Jul 1, 2004, 2:30 PM   #49

No one has really tested the movie mode:-(

If I buy a portable cd writer which writes straight from the sd card onto the cd, will I be able to do so with the movie clips and watch them later on my computer?

Thanks!

Ed

Ps how much did you get your oly for?

Old Jul 2, 2004, 2:54 AM   #50

Hi ed33,

540,- EURO which I consider a good price (including a 128MB XD Oly card).

Steve has a review for the Kyocera online with a really short video - take a look!

Regards