Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 2, 2004, 5:49 AM   #51

Indeed a very good price!

enjoy it!

The movie clipby Steves review is not very clear and quiet dark and I would like to know if that is normsl by that camera.

Ed
ed33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2004, 5:19 PM   #52

The pentax optio mx is for sale insome online shops...

Ed
Old Jul 5, 2004, 11:02 AM   #53

The first pics of the optio mx

http://forum.digitalfotonetz.de/viewtopic.php?t=7769

Old Jul 5, 2004, 12:20 PM   #54

Well Ed33, if possible try to get in in your hands... look how the controls and buttons are placed and how it feels if you carry it to take photos. You know - there's a CCD, some optic, some electronic and stuff. The major companies have quite some experience in building digicams now. Some are better than others for YOU, thats a subjective decision...

I like things that proved to be ok. The Oly 7xx series has quite a history so I expect to buy something solid. Everything has strength and weaknesses.

Don't buy only with looking on technical parameters.

Look - the Minolta Z2 is good from a technical point of view, but it just don't fit in my hands ... don't know why - it just doesn't feel right. /shrug

I guess the main point is... try to cool down a bit - you will live with that cam a certain amount of time - give yourself some time to choose right.

If you need movie examples from the C-770 I could provide some ... only need some webspace to host it

Picture quality is very good if the camera has enough light. I can provide several examples too... maybe I look around for a web community where I can host that stuff...

Good luck and if I can help - just let me know.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 1:40 PM   #55

Thanks for your reply.

Thats exactly the point with the oly. Everything seems right on paper but I saw it in the shop and said...no. (besides the price being quiet high)

The kyocera fits very nice in my hands and gives good quality pics and is very reasonable priced (€399 in a 'real' shop)(BUT video function is no good)but Iwill probably go for that one if the pentax is not ok.

I for sure wont buy untill I saw some reviews (quality,shutterlag, etc..) and held the camera myself.

I'm happy to hear you are happy with your purchase !

Ed
Old Jul 6, 2004, 2:57 AM   #56

I am expecting some flack from the Pro's, but have you concidered any of the following.

Mustek dv5500 http://www.mustek.de/eng_/html/produkte/dv5500.htm

Aiptek dv4200

Panasonic sv-av100/sv-av50

DXG-301V

Just my 2 cents
bartholomewp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 7:51 AM   #57

Thanks but I do prefer going for a known camera brand like nikon pentax, etc... The picture quality of these is usually better and thats the main thing for me. Besides that I would like the a good movie function but I wont give in on Pic. quality for that.

Ed
Old Jul 6, 2004, 7:07 PM   #58

There is a new one coming out called the apollo mpeg4 , 4.X Megapixel etc.

By a company called digital dream, not a nikon etc ,but for $150, not shabby at all.

www.digitaldreamco.com
bartholomewp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2004, 6:24 AM   #59

Hi Ed33,

so I guess the Oly isn't for you then... hard work to get "everything" though. The menu of the Oly and the heavy use of it (no Panorama on special button for example, switch between the 4 "myModes" only in menu, deleting all pictures needs menu use and so on).

Deleting some pics require 2 actions on the cam: "delete" and "confirm". On every pic! On the Fuji F700 you would start deleting and it would ask on next pic "delete?" and you could say "YES" and proceed or stop. Much easier.

LCD won't flip around like on the Canon S1 IS. And believe me - for me it's an important feature.

So the bottom line is... it's not the "perfect" camera for me, but a good one and I think I will stick with it, especially since my "dim light" shots were much more succesful than with the Canon.

/wave
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2004, 3:28 PM   #60

I can recommend highly the Canon Powershot S1 IS for family video as well:
I generally use it at the following settings with good results:
640x480 at 15 fps
Normal compression (not "fine")

I know that 30 fps will get me smoother motion, but it also eats up trmendous amounts of space on a CF card.

I have two 1GB CF cards, and I find I can get about 22 min. of video on each card, using the above settings. I also find I can fill up the card without running out of battery power (using NiMH batteries of the usual variety, not hight capacity).

The sound quality (pretty good; note that the automatic gain used is not appropriate for music) seems to remain the same no matter what the video settings used. I do note a slight high-pitched whistle recorded with the sound in very quiet situations, and I have noted this as well in the demo video clip on the English-language site in Japan: <http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/pss1is/sample-e.html>, so it's not a malfunction in my camera. It's generally barely noticeable.

I bought this camera as a replacement for my PS s400 which, although it took great still photos, was not able to take video that was good enough for my needs: the sound tracks had an unbearable amount of hissing noise and the low resolution meant that when transferred to DVD and viewed on a TV, the compression artifacts were unpleasantly magnified. The camera was checked out by Canon, as was pronounced "within spec". Yuk.

Incidentally, I found the soundtrack of video taken with a PS sd110 I tried to be substantially quieter than the s400; I wonder why?

WISH LIST:
A camera the size of the PS s400 with a video resolution of 640x480 at 15 fps minimum and a soundtrack of the format of the PS S1 IS. I know that the optical zoom capabilities of the S1 IS cannot be duplicated in a camera that small. Also, retain the S1 IS' ability to record long video clips (no 3 min limit).
pseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote