Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 11, 2004, 6:59 PM   #1

I am looking for a neww(not so expensive)digital camera but one that can make some small videos (home videos) but the specifications confuses me thers avi mode, mpeg mode, mpg mode, mov mode, 640 x 480 at 15 fps 20fps and even 30fps and other resolutions others reach "only?" 320x240 at 15fps. where can i get a sample to download or watch, which one is suitable for home video of my kids. i saw the MINOLTA Dimage Z1 is it good? thanks in advance.
cordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 11, 2004, 9:02 PM   #2

Here's a site that reviews cams. you can find attached movie sample clips from any of the cams thats been reviewed that has movie mode.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/cameraList.php

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/mi...age_z1-review/

^ The Z1 Cam review, scroll to near the bottom for a sample movie clip taken with that cam.

hope that helps :|
SRSpawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2004, 7:57 AM   #3

Thanks for your help.

now i am looking for a program to convert MOV to MPG and MPEG TO VCD cause i am going to rip the "my kids" movies to watch on TV. Since i still havent bought the camera i dont know if it records im MOV or MPEG format (after that i will rip in a cd to watch in vcd or svcd mode)i think theses are the only options of the cameras i´ve seen.

ok thanks
Old Jun 12, 2004, 8:41 AM   #4

Hi Cordis.

I read the review of the Z1 cam I notice it said it suffers from alot of purple fringing for one.

check this review out of the Z2 it seems if you are thinking of the Z1 then the Z2 (the upgrade model) would be a better cam

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/mi...age_z2-review/

also here are the frame rates and resolutions the Z2 uses

800 x 600 (15 fps) and 640 x 480 (30 fps)

here is the max frame rate and resolution the Z1 uses You can record VGA quality video (that's 640 x 480) at 30 frames/second fps)

and from what I Can tell they both record to the quicktime movie format.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For a mov to avi. mpeg, divx so on conversion programme here is one I use and I find it very easy and simple to use

http://www.riverpast.com/en/prod/videocleaner/index.php

Video Cleaner ^

glad I could be of some help
Old Jun 12, 2004, 11:40 AM   #5

Steve has a movie clip for every camera he reviews. And he probably has the most complete list of reviews – especially in the price range you seem to be looking at.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html

320 X 240 is pretty much useless at any frame rate.

I find anything less than 30fps to be jerky.

You need a big memory card to record 640 X 480 at 30fps. Your best bet is something with CF memory because you can get large sizes at reasonable prices. SD is the next most reasonable with xD and Memory Stick Pro being pricey.

MPG/MPEG is easier to edit and put on a CD people can play on their TV. It isn't proprietary and much more versatile. The free Quick Time viewer is pretty much useless for converting and editing so you have to buy the full version – even then your options are more limited than just recording in the non-proprietary MPEG.

Look at some of Steve's clips and decide for yourself what you need in resolution and frame rate.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2004, 12:22 PM   #6

thanks SRSpawni am now downloading the "video cleaner" ita shareware i will try it. i used the vcdeasy to burn the mpeg video to vcd but is also shareware, do you know any freeware that do it? well i have just seen the Z2 here in Brazil it costs about US$600 and more money to get a good memory card
Old Jun 12, 2004, 1:23 PM   #7

Slipe,

what do you think 640 x 480 (30 fps) is better than
800 x 600 (15 fps) ? i am worried about the memory card, the cameras i am lookin uses the Xd its more expensive. Please help me out i´ve seen in the camera specifications that 1 minute videouses between 30 to 60 MB or something about that, correct if i am wrong (i am not sure about 640x480 30fps few cameras reaches that). So help me out as an example i downloaded a christina aguilera moulin rouge 47Mb mpeg clip its almost FIVE MINUTES i just dont get it!!! i put it on vcdeasy that shows 52Mb mpeg1 352 x 249 276s 30FPS, please explain to me 5 minutes shouldn´t use at least 200Mb?. i saw it on a 44" hdtv TV what can i say, its regular sometimes the image seemed, how can i say it in english, pixelate?? i know that i want for home videos but if it could be just a little better i would be very satisfied if the camera could handle videos better than 352 x 249. Any suggestions not too pricey including the memory card(and here in Brazil prices are even highers). i read somewhere about the olympus 770 that uses mpeg4(whats the advantage? more compression?) but it seems a little expensive. well i know its a lot of questions but i have less than 3 weeks to buy the CORRECT camera to me, i doesnt need a 5 megapixel camera cause i put all my photos in cds to watch on tv but in the other side i really want it to do some short videos, thanks you all for help

Old Jun 12, 2004, 4:14 PM   #8

cordis, not sure if this site will be any help to you but you can check the tools section and there's loads of video help and explanations. Check the link. :-)

http://www.videohelp.com
jackrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2004, 6:40 AM   #9

http://www.jhepple.com/convert_apple...ime_to_avi.htm

here's a tool ^ I first tried out Cordis. It's free,
I found it easy to convert the mov format file to avi or mpeg only one problem I had it didn't do the sound.

Result was I ended up with a silent avi movie file or silent mpeg or silent divx file lol. I didn't know what values to enter for the audio conversion, I Guess too fiddly and complicated for me.

But anyway if you are able to use it then yeah it'd be just as good as Video Cleaner then.

Maybe there is someone on here who knows how to use it and can tell you what to do
Old Jun 13, 2004, 7:53 AM   #10

Hi jack thaks a lot i am looking this site its very good, thers lots of tutorials, guides, lets see if today i can test one of the programs. well i was looking some sample movies in steves-digicams.com
site. 15fps is POOR but 640X480 30fps is EXCELLENT

i looked at fuji f700, s 7000 , s5000

sony p100, w1 and v1

olympus c720

canon s1

minolta Z2

i have 3 winners fuji f700, s7000 and canon s1, the performance are incredible i want to see if when i burn it to vcd is continues that good in tv.

if i forget any model (this price range) please tell me, i heard about the olympus 770 but cant fins a sample movie to compare