Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Sep 13, 2002, 8:42 AM   #1
paz

Default camera for bad lighting

I'm looking for a camera I can use to make catalogs with. The printed pictures are not going to be very big, so I can get away with a low mega pixle camera (which helps my low budget of about $250). But I must be able to take pictures from close by and be able to take pictures in poor lighting conditions. Any recommendations?
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 13, 2002, 11:50 AM   #2

Default Camera for bad lighting

A digital with a F1.6 lens is your best bet for low light pictures. Olympus C3040 and C4040 have this lens. Their price is more than your budget. The Olympus D490Z is a great little camera that has a F2.8 lens. This camera is selling for under $250 on the web. A refurbished should run about $200.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2002, 5:06 PM   #3

Paz,

What exactly are your subjects and why is it low light?

In this price category, you're going to be hard pressed to get all that you need.

Depending on the size of your subject material, you may need MACRO capability, you will want a 2" LCD screen on the camera, and you might be well advised to invest in a desklamp to light it.

With $250 to spend, you should consider spending a bit on lighting because it is cheaper than f1.4 lenses and more effective than flash.

reader

[Edited on 9-15-2002 by reader]
reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2002, 4:38 AM   #4
paz

I make catalogues as a business. Everything from clothing to jewlery. I would like to switch to digital. Most of my pictures are taken indoors and in poorly lit wearhouses. I tried out the Toshiba PDR-M25 in my own livingroom during the day and the pictures came out horrible. What matters to me the most is the picture quality. I figured I have to raise my price limit to about $320, but with all the choices out there I'm very confused.

I found a Kodak DX4900 for $330, but does it have better picture qulity than the DX3900 (considering my pictures are no bigger than 5x6)?
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2002, 10:23 AM   #5

Look at the coolpix 2500 .. it is avail for 250 at wbay.
Steves is offline   Reply With Quote