Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 12, 2004, 8:12 PM   #1

I have a Sony P71 and am wondering if there is a way to get sharper action shots. Outdoor are not too bad but indoor with flash are terrible. I took some of my daughter dancing in a poorly lit dance room and the blur of the twirling skirts is terrible!
JillOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2004, 10:23 PM   #2

The problem is, simply, there's not enough light to take the picture you're trying to get. There are several ways to fix it... increase the available light with a flash (or turn on the lights in the room), increase the ISO number (this will increase the noise in the picture), open the lens more (lower f-stop number) or slow the shutter speed. The last one, used by itself, will cause blurring. It seems the camera is doing its best to do its job by slowing down the shutter speed, resulting in the blurr you're seeing.

There's no magic about the whole process. There aren't any other things you can do than what I said above. A camera with a better flash or faster lens might solve the problem, but that'sreally the expensive way to go about it. Try playing with f-stop (lower number), ISO (higher number), use animproved flash and better ambient light before quitting on your camera.

Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2004, 10:25 PM   #3

You going to have a difficult time getting good action shots with your camera indoors. I don't believe this model has manual shutter speeds and that is what makes the difference in clairity for action shots. It does offer manual ISO so you might try turning it up the max 400ISO and get in close for your shot.
host is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2004, 10:04 AM   #4

Thanks so much for the advice. I'll try playing around with it.
JillOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2004, 10:21 AM   #5

The image captured in light from the flash is not blurred. It is the extra ambient light causing the blurring. My guess is that the target is outside the flash range of the camera and it is having to let in extra ambient light to get the picture.

Get within 12 feet if the camera is in wide or within 9 feet if the camera is zoomed to telephoto. Lower the ambient light and you will get sharp images.

There are obvious limits to using a pocket point and shoot camera, and the lack of a hot shoe for an external flash is an obvious one. The P71 has a better than average flash for a small camera.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote