Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 14, 2004, 6:14 AM   #1

Hello,

after reading a lot I tried 2 DigiCams and made up my mind what I am looking for in a DigiCam. So I thought I post it here and would like to ask you for opinions what recent model to get (if there is any). Thanks in advance.

What I tested so far: Fuji F700, Canon S1 IS

What am I looking for:
  • coming from "traditional photography" (Minolta Dynax 500si, 38-70mm SLR) I want comparable or better image quality. I found the image quality of the Canon S1 IS (3.2mPix, ISO 50) good enough for me, so this or better. Fuji F700 is not my taste because the ISO200 and the high image compression - a shame! Otherwise a cute little cam![/*]
  • I am a photographer to take all kinds of shots. Landscape/Buildings as well as macro objects and the usual family/friends/sports/vacation shots. So no high speed sports, but fast action required - you know: kids are moving fast and don't neccessarily respond to "stand still for next 5 seconds" So the camera should focus FAST and ACCURATE in ANY LIGHT CONDITION, including dim/low light (what I mean with that? When the camera can take ISO 400 shots at 1/30 sec I expect the AF to produce a sharp picture.) Canon S1 IS definitely CAN'T do that. Fuji F700 can very well.[/*]
  • Furthermore I want to be able to shoot some sequences to pick best shot (lets say 5 picks of a moving action and pick the one where no eyes half closed and a 3rd person was in picture - you got the idea)[/*]
  • Zoom range 35-70mm is common to me: that or better, good tele with image stabilizer would be a dream, best combined with image stabilizer(Canon S1 IS superb). I can deal when wide is only around 35..38mm IF a panorama assist program is onboard. Want that anyway and toyed with the one in the Canon S1 IS - enough for my needs.[/*]
  • Manual settings (shutter/aperture priority) is a must, AUTO, portrait, Landscape, nightshot, backlight and panorama assist would be nice. Custom settings (1 program) would be nice too.[/*]
  • ISO definitely at least 100, better 50 or 64. The ISO 200 combined with the high JPEG compression of the F700 wasn't my style.[/*]
  • Image compression: need fine setting compareable to Canon S1 IS setting "fine". Not sure if I need the "super fine", but can't live with the "aggressive" setting - too much artefacts on pictures.[/*]
  • Movie mode with sound. The [email protected] of the Canon S1 IS are good enough to catch the scene, I am aiming for movie quality and could live with that framerate. So a good [email protected] or better is what I am looking for, keep in mind: Movie quality (in the means of image quality) should be good - most demo movies I saw have low quality. Think of it as a super fast continuous-shot-mode more than a camcorder substitute. So I guess even 10fps (i.e. Canon S60) could be worth a try.[/*]
  • Ergonomics. Too much tiny-button-pressing is a no. Well placed controls, better one knob more and one sub-menu less. Jog-Dial (see Minolta Dynax Dial) would be a dream. A good shutter knob is essential - Canon S1 IS is ok, Fuji F700 is not my favourite.[/*]
  • Battery life time. 3-5 films with 36 pics each I take on high duty days, including zoom etc. That's 100-150 pics with heavy use of all kind of shoot-watch-reshoot, use flash or not, use continuous shooting and selecting best shot and so on. I can live with 1 battery pack in cam and one in the pocket, but not more.
[/*]
I hope that helps you to help me, please tell me your opinion. My current ideas are:
  • Nikon 5200 (movie mode crap sound? Controls? Battery? AF?)[/*]
  • Canon S60 (AF? RedEye? Battery?)
[/*]
Any other choices? Minolta Z2 is nothing for my hands...sorry. Fuji S7000 too big for my wife's taste. Minolta A1 great features - worth a look? (AF? Movie?) Casio great battery life time - can you recommend?

Price range is around 500 EURO (am from Germany) for the cam. Better would be that for cam including 512MB stick

Any hope for me to find a cam?

Regards.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 16, 2004, 2:26 AM   #2

Hi all,

after a lot of research I was surprised to find the Olympus 5060 WideZoom to meet my crtiterias - at least on paper.

Can anyone comment on that camera? Reviews available on the net are very positive in general...

TIA
Old Jun 16, 2004, 10:44 AM   #3

There are a few olympus fans on this site. I would check the area dedicated directly to their cameras, you'll find more people there with direct experience.

And thanks for listing so much info. I really hate the "what should I buy?" question where they don't say anything.

And don't forget to actually go and see the camera if you can. Hold it in your hand, check out where the buttons are, feel its weigth and size. All that matters, but people don't often think about it.

Eric

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 3:02 AM   #4

Thanks Eric,

I went to a local store to see it yesterday... could also talk the guys there to charge the battery for me, so I can try it today hopefully.

First impressions:
  • big and heavy, would like to see it at 4/5 of it's size or so - on the other hand it feels very "solid"[/*]
  • ON/OFF switch is a joke - difficult to operate [/*]
  • ergonomics for right hand good, fits in my hand, thumb places well and I bet I can shoot with holding it in one hand. Shutter optimal placed too.[/*]
  • the display (LCD) looks funny...
[/*]
will see how it works with battery (menu, shooting, operating...)

Still a bit expensive. I was aiming for around 500 Euro max. and this shop sells for 699... maybe I can barter a bit or look for the cam at a net-shop.