Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Sep 14, 2002, 6:11 PM   #1

Default Recording Mode & Pixels

I'm a newbie in case you don't see that big NEWBIE sign on my forehead!!

I purchased an Oly C-2100 and just LOVE it!! (Thanks Steve's Digicam Reviews!!) I have tried to figure out which recording mode, TIFF or JPEG, is best for printing photos. In JPEG, I also have choices of: SHQ, HQ & SQ!! The setting I've been using is HQ at 1600x1200.

Also, is there some place that I can see a chart that shows what pixel size is best for what sized print? For example, can 500x375 pixel size make a decent 4x6" photo? Will 1600x1200 make good 8x10s? I already admitted I was a newbie!!

Thanks for any help,

Karen

[Edited on 9-14-2002 by KarenS]
KarenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2002, 6:28 PM   #2

Default Print size

TIFF files are very large and limit the amount of photos you can take before downloading. JPG is a TIFF file that has been compressed using less space. I take pictures in SHQ mode and it alwyas has provided excellent pictures. The HQ is also an excellent mode for pictures. Kodak has an excellent program for printing phots and will autosize the photos for you. Click the link on Steves Digicam software and then go to printing software. There is a link there for the Kodak software. The Kodak software is free. There are 72 pixels to an inch.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2002, 1:55 AM   #3

What is 72 pixels to an inch? Right now my monitor is set at about 80 pixels/inch (19 inch/18 viewable at 1154x864). Just about nothing is 72 pixels per inch except default values that have no meaning.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2002, 9:12 AM   #4

Default Pixel and resolution

I am sorry if I confused the issue by indicating 72 dpi per inch. I recommend that you go to this web page for a good explanation of your question: http://www.nikmultimedia.com/welcome...BCsofDPI.shtml. I have always divided pixel size of the photo by 72 to determine the size of the print. Many of imaging programs only show the size of the photo in pixels.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2002, 12:32 PM   #5

I'd really suggest that you pay no attention to that article at all. Their statement, "The greater the number of pixels per inch in an image, the larger the size of the image that you can print" is complete nonsense. If I have an image one inch wide at 400ppi (pixels/inch - 400 total pixels) I cannot print as large a print as I can from one ten inches wide at 200ppi (2000 total pixels).

What ppi is right for printing depends on the subject and on the eye of the beholder, but very few people work below 150ppi and most want something closer to 300ppi. 72ppi produces pixelated images to most peoples' eyes.

Imaging programs work in total pixels because that is the correct measure of the image. Pixels/inch only matter when you print - not at any point before that.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote