Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 23, 2004, 3:56 PM   #1

I can't decide which digital camera I should by.. I am 14 yrs. old and I guess you can call me and "advanced-beginer" in digital photography. I will mainly be taking pics of just family and will soon be leaving to Hawaii in the summer.. I have narrowed my choices of cameras to these..

- Sony Cybershot DSC-P73

- Olympus Stylus Digital 300

- Canon Powershot SD110

If anyone can give me some PROs/CONs on these cameras and help me choose which one to buy that would really help me!

i_g0t_sKiLLz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 24, 2004, 1:20 PM   #2

oh yea I forgot to mention.. I am also considering the Cybershot P72 because it is a little cheaper than the others .. Will this be a good camera ?
Old Jun 27, 2004, 2:59 AM   #3

Hi! I'm only 16, and I just ordered a Canon A80. I think it may be in your best interest to stay away from Sony. I have heard good things, but I have heard lots of bad things about indoor photography with them, which I assume you will do a lot of. The SD110 is around $250 USD and my A80 is around $300. If you are an "advanced-beginner," I assume that you want to be able to learn how shutter speed, aperature, and ISO affect each other, you may want to look into the A80 or the A75, which is about $250. Though slightly larger than theother cameras, they have huge manual capabilities, where the Sonys and the Olympus has less. Also, the Canons use compact flash memory, which is pretty cheap now. TheSony uses memory stick, which costs a bit more, and the Olympus uses XD memory, whichis the highest priced on the market right now. I would say thatto learn and still stay in the lower price range that you are in, I would look at Canon Powershot A80 and A75. The A80 has a 1.5 inch rotating screen, so you can easily be very creative, and the A75 has a 1.8 inch stationary screen with higher resolution. I really hope I helped you out, and good luck with the decision.I would like to say that I work at Best Buy in the camera department, so don't be turned off by my young age, as I really do know what I'm talking about8). Good luck again, and happy buying!
DrDictionary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2004, 2:14 PM   #4

ok thanks that really helped!! I think Im leaning toward the A75 now !
Old Jun 30, 2004, 12:01 PM   #5

Dr.D,

You said <<I think it may be in your best interest to stay away from Sony. I have heard good things, but I have heard lots of bad things about indoor photography with them>>

That is rather too sweeping a statement. I've been handling cameras for nearly 40yrs andhave extensive SLR experience. When I converted to digital a year ago I bought a 3MP Sony, when I upgraded recently to 5MP I bought another Sony.

I think the problem is more that folks expect far too much of digicams. Outdoors in good light many digicams will give superb results, for indoor shots it is more challenging. To get a good indoor photograph you really need a very fast SLR type lens for natural light images, for flash you need a seperate or slave flash.

Yet folks seem to expect a small digicam with a flash the size of a thumbprint to light a large group in a dark room. You've seen it on here, folks buy a digicam and post that it's rubbish when their images of a huge disco come out looking terrible.

I would pick a Sony Cybershot over the Canon A75 (and possibly an A80) for indoor shots. In my experience the Canon A75 will struggle to focus in low light and with indistinct subjects..like pets. The result can be that they focus on the nearest distinct object rather than the actual one you wanted in the centre. Also this indecision adds time the already slightly slow responses of the A75 over a current Cybershot.

I admit there is a slight downside to the Sony low light shots, that is noise in the shadows. This may seem worse than a Canon image of the same subject but remember the A75 images are quite soft and this does mask noise.

For any serious indoor photography with a smaller digicam you need a slave flash. Add this to a Sony and the images are superb, add one to the Canon and the camera will still struggle to focus and be slow enough to miss the shot.

This is not an anti A75 post as I accept they are superb value for all the manual modes at a cheap price.

David

Cybershot455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2004, 11:44 PM   #6

i agree with the DrDictionary1. I believe that the A80 would be your best bet. AA batts' as opposed to Lithium Proprietery as in the SD110 demonstrated one of the many advantatges over the much more pocketable SD110. Also the manual features that the A80 have can't be surpassed (i think) by any other 4mp dcam for 299.99. I believe that you would definitely benefit from these numerous features especially if you consider yourself an 'advanced-beginner'. good luck w/ you decision A80 all the way for me
prelude18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2004, 1:37 AM   #7

Cybershot-

I totally agree with you about people expecting too much from digital cameras. However, I feel that the A75 is a great camera, especially for the price. The auto-focus stuff that you said about it selecting the wrong thing has seemed to be true for every camera I have used, but this can be worked around by turning off AiAf. Then, you can frame your shot, hold the button half-way, and reframe. Then the shot takes less than a half-second to take. I didn't mean to sound like I was totally bashing Sony, because I know that theymake high-quality cameras, but kids expect things that they buyto be absolutely perfect, and I know that when I boughtmy Kodak C750 APS camera and saw very noisy shadows, I was dissappointed in Kodak. I also think that the price range is a plus for a young buyer. Plus, I think that he would really enjoy all of the manual settings on the A75 or A80, so that was my reccommendation.
DrDictionary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2004, 3:21 AM   #8

That's fair enough Dr D, we all have to favour a different camera or there would only be one type sold!

The availability of so many manual modes on the A75 is truly amazing for a cheap price, they are lovely cameras to hold and use. If you know their weaknesses it is possible to use a manual or priority mode to overcome problems.

But have an A75 on auto everything for a flash shot indoorsat night and you will oftenget slow/failed focus, soft images with even softer edges** and a slightly muddy underexposedimage. Well the one I tested for a few days did all these things.

**Note the A75 seems to have some real lens issues that all happen when at widest angle and max 2.8 aperture.

I have used Sony P52, P10, P93 and V1 which will rapidly lock focus in zero light and produce nice sharp images.

That's why, for the specific situation of indoor flash images, I could not buy an A75 over a Sony.

I have no experience of using an A80 and that may be far better.

David
Cybershot455 is offline   Reply With Quote