Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 24, 2004, 9:24 AM   #1

I have never owned a digital camera before other than what still digital picture capability I have in my 6yr old Sony Camcorder. I have friends who own them and most of them have a 3x optical zoom and their biggest gripe is they wish they had more.

Keeping that in mind I have been lurking here and dpreview for a while and had narrowed it down to Fuji s5000, s7000, Canon S1 IS and Panasonic dmc FZ10. Then I visited a local RITZ Camera store and looked at some pictures taken by the fuji s5000, s7000 and the panasonic fz-10. I was blown away by the sharpness and clarity of the fz-10 pictures.

Now I am down to two the panasonic fz-10 and the canon S1 IS because they are the only ones of the four that have image stabilization which I believe is important if you do not want to carry a pod.

I have a 5yr old and a 2yr old kids. Please help me decide. I will normally shoot kids and we are planning to go on vaccation to niagra falls.

Also would these let me take good closeups along with the far shots without any additional equipment.

Thanks in advance. I probably will use the auto mode most of the time.
raj_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 24, 2004, 11:37 AM   #2

The S1 has a better built-in flash but no hot shoe. An inexpensive automatic flash attachment will improve your family flash shots quite a bit compared to any built-in flash. But if you are sure you don't want to mess with an external flash the FZ10 is limited in its flash range.

I have a wide format printer and 4Mp is a little limited. 3Mp would not be suitable for me. If you are sure you will not get involved enough to want larger prints on your wall 3Mp is sufficient for most purposes.

I agree you want a stabilized camera if you get a long zoom. Stabilization will also give much better available light capabilities at wider angles. I will not own another large camera without it.

I guess you noticed that the FZ10 is bulky. It is light for its size though. After you install the 4 NiMH batteries in the S1 it is almost as heavy.

There are currently better deals on CF than on SD. But SD is the next most reasonable in price and the card can be used in a variety of devices like PDAs and MP3 players.

It is cheaper to get spare batteries for the Canon, but there are also advantages to the proprietary lithium batteries. NiMH batteries lose a lot of charge every day where the lithium batteries don't. I have a camera that takes NiMH batteries and don't care to have another. A lot of people feel differently. I got an Eagle Imports spare that was recommended on the Panasonic forum for $20 and it has worked well in my FZ10.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2004, 12:36 PM   #3

Slipe thanks I gathered from your post you own a FZ 10. How do you like it did you do the due dilligence before buying. Would it let me take good point and shoot pictures. Then as I learn I can venture into manual modes. What would your recommendation be for a digital camera today.

Will appreciate any inputs.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 4:58 PM   #4

since I posted my message a bonifide expert has recommended another camera which is the kyocera M410R. He said it's the onlycamera that does not freeze the EVF viewfinder during auto focus which makes it much better for action shots. Would that be a better choice for me?
Old Jun 27, 2004, 1:44 AM   #5

raj_b wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
I will normally shoot kids
Oh my god! Lol. The Kyocera has that good feature, but I would stick with the bigger camera companies like Canon and Panasonic. I know that Canon probably has better optics and has the 10x zoom. I don't know what zoom the Panasonic has, but Canon has some great features such as the lens, the AA batteries, and the compact flash memory use. I noticed, though, that the CCD is 1/2.7 inches, which is pretty small, making for noisy images. I'm pretty sure that 3MP is suitable for 8x10 prints, but I don't think I would go any bigger with that.

It's a tough decision, and I don't know a ton about either camera, but I know that I like Canon. Good luck with that.
DrDictionary1 is offline   Reply With Quote