Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 25, 2004, 4:13 PM   #1

[First post, be gentle; I know, typical newbie stuff.]

I'm desperately eager to move into the digital world. I have a Pentax 35mm point-and-click film camera and, after getting disappointing prints recently (which I, naturally, blame the store's switch in development equipment instead of my lack of photography prowess) I'm wanting to "upgrade" to a digital camera.

After poking around the site, it sounds like Canon's Digital Rebel might be a giant step up for me. I know nothing of lenses, although more poking around led me to Canon's 28-135/3.5-5.6 IS USM lens, not that I know much about it.

This appears to be an expensive hobby I'm getting myself into. I haven't even looked at batteries, media or carrying cases.

I'm trying to configure a wish-list of all the things I should look into. I want to gather everything I can so I know what to expect at the bottom line, I guess.

I just hope the digital SLR is worth being twice the price of a high-end point-and-click digi-cam.
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 25, 2004, 11:39 PM   #2

There are many reasons to get the DRebel. Its not a "great" camera (to me) but its a good camera. If its the right camera for you is the question. You don't list that you take pictures of. That matters a lot. Please follow up with that info.

But let see what I can answer.

The 28-135 is a good lens. There are better and certainly worse. But it's not a bad first choice. Without knowing what type of pictures you take, its hard to "correct" or "advocate" this choice any more. One thing to realize is that the human eye sees the same as 50mm (this is actually a lie for the DRebel. I can explain why in another post.) What lenses do you have with your Pentax?

Digital photography is an expensive hobby, and aDigital SLR is even more so. So you are right to think about that.

Here is a good list of things to get.

CF Card I'd recommend 512MB... maybe larger.

Extra battery. Not a must, but I think its a good thing to get. An after market one is not a bad way to go. Cheaper, larger capacity (but slight risk that its a dud.)

CF Card reader for your computer. Get a USB2 one, if you don't might the slightly higher cost. They are much faster (this assumes you have USB2 on your own computer.)

Bag to cary it in. I like LowePro as a brand, but for the smaller bags it matters less.

Lens. The Kit lens that comes with the DRebel is good. Again, not great, but if it meets your standards then it doesn't matter, does it?

Photo Editing software. PhotoShop Elements 2 is good (I don't know if the camera comes with it.) Picture Window is good. Paint Shop Pro is also good. If you own the digital camera, you now own the post-processing of the pictures. No sending it to the lab and forgetting about it.

You haven't seen the prices on the high end digi-cams... they can cost the same. The Sony 828 is $999.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2004, 2:34 AM   #3

Being an absolute newbie, I wasn't expecting to dive into the high-end. I've never had an SLR before, but I've found the max 90mm zoom of my Pentax insta-matic point'n'shoot sometimes limiting. So I figured the entry-level Canon dRebel was good enough.

I'm not even much of a hobbyist photographer. Most pics are landscape. No close-up portraits. Tried takin' pics at a night wedding once and my built-in flash wasn't helpful enough. (I could try scanning in some of my pics if you're interested in Germany or the Bahamas.)

I think the dRebel comes with the PS Elements 2.
Old Jun 26, 2004, 7:49 AM   #4

Welcome to the forum,

You may want to check out Ebay...

There are quite a few Rebels (with extra lenses) for sale there.

Good luck!
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2004, 9:59 PM   #5

One of my co-workers told me on yesterday that he was getting one this weekend - he currently has a Canon S50. Dell has them on their website for 15% off thru the weekend. I would really like to have one myself.

frontier02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2004, 11:03 PM   #6

frontier02 wrote:
Quote:
One of my co-workers told me on yesterday that he was getting one this weekend - he currently has a Canon S50. Dell has them on their website for 15% off thru the weekend. I would really like to have one myself.

Bad news. One little caveat--the 15% discount does NOT apply to SLRs and lenses. Says so on their website.

When Dell offers a percentage off on digital cameras, from myobservations, it never includes SLRs and lenses.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2004, 4:01 PM   #7

I love my Canon Digital Rebel. It is agood low end DSLR that performs very well. I have used digital cameras for the last 7 years. My list of cameras include the Olympus C4040 and the Nikon 5700. Both of these cameras provided me with quality photos. They do not compare to the quality of photos I have with the digital Rebel.

Eric provided a very good list of accessories.

The Canon 28-135mm USM/IS lens is my walk around lens. I really like this lens.

DSLR cameras can be an expensive hobby but you need not buy everything at once. I would purchase the kit lens with DR and a 512mb compact flash card. Learn the camera and then find where your photographic preferences take you.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2004, 4:53 PM   #8

I agree with what Eric says, but you have to also consider one excellent point.....once you have all the gear (and assuming you have a PC) your costs in relation to what you spend on film and processing will come down dramatically. Plus, if you stick with the hobby, you will re-coup that hard earned cash quickly....welcome to planet pixel!!!!! :?
Freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2004, 5:20 PM   #9

gibsonpd3620 -- Thanks for the feedback! Now I just have to figure out where to buy from... http://dealcam.com/ seems to keep a list of online stores, but I may stick to the bigger names (rather than take a risk). I think I'll also take Steve's suggestion (in the dRebel review conclusion) on the Transcendís Ultra Performance 45X CompactFlash Card.

...my buyin' finger's gettin' itchy...
Old Jun 28, 2004, 5:26 PM   #10

Freefly -- True, I'll save lots of money on wasted shots where I couldn't get things just right because of the lack of instant preview, or those shots that I just wasted so I could finish off the roll of film, or those shots that I took to get wasted.

But after I go digital, I'll want to share my pics somehow ... so I'm sure a printer will come along in the future. (But as gibsonpd3620 pointed out, I don't have to go all gung-ho at the start. I'll accumulate over time.)