Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Sep 16, 2002, 4:08 PM   #1

Default flash help w/ olympus

ok, so far I like my olympus c 3000 except for a few little things that i'm not sure are my fault, or the camera's fault.

the flash on this thing drives me insane b/c it just looks so fake. the red eye reduction doesn't seem to work and i've tried different settings on the flash, and i just hate the unnatural look it produces. normally i would prefer not using the flash, but even now, at three pm from inside my house it appears i need it b/c otherwise this one hot pixel appears in my photos and they're blurred of course. but also i noticed that in the lcd the pics i take w/o the flash look bright and contrasty, however, when i upload them into camedia they look flat, dull, and dark.

what am i doing wrong? i've read the manual and i'm still confused. thanks.. i'm desperate.
blackandwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2002, 4:48 PM   #2

Default Lighting is everything

Well, you're facing a hard reality of photography. With few exceptions the worst place to have the flash is close to the lens. You need an off camera flash to improve things. Your options are somewhat limited. You can get the somewhat pricey FL-40 or use a generic flash triggered by maybe the Wein digital peanut slave. Not sure it if's possible to adapt the Oly dedicated connector to a standard PC. In any event you'll need some kind of bracket to mount a flash as the C3000 lacks a hot shoe but that's a good thing.
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2002, 5:08 PM   #3

Default Flash and Red Eye

With the use of the optional TTL cable, the C-3000 can utilize Olympus' FL-40 external flash for extended flash working range and bounce-flash lighting effects. The cost is $300 to $400.

You are using the Camedia 2.0 software that came with the camera and Red Eye reduction is not very good at best. I use Photo Adobe Delux version 3 and it has a great Red Eye reduction program. I upgraded to Camedia 4.0 for $20 and the Red Eye reduction works great. The Camedia 2.5 version is not better than the 2.0.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2002, 11:24 PM   #4

Mmm, thanks for the flash information. Unfortunately, I will not be able to afford that for awhile.

I still have yet another question-- why do my pictures look fine in the lcd and then come out differently when i upload onto my comp? for example, today that happened and i could of taken more pictures with the flash, however, w/o the flash looked fine in the lcd but when i uploaded them they looked very flat and dark. this is frustrating to me b/c i cannot rely on the lcd. is this just another thing that the olympus does or what's the deal? it's deceiving.
Old Sep 17, 2002, 8:07 AM   #5
lg

Check two things:

1. Is your exposure compensation set to something other than 0.0? If it's set to a negative number, then you have told the camera to manually underexpose all your shots.

2. You have a brightness control on your LCD. Is it turned up to high brightness? This will make all pictures look artificially brighter than they are actually exposed.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2002, 4:28 PM   #6

thank you so much.

it wasn't no. 1 but no.2 was at fault.

both were on default settings no. 1 at zero and no.2 dead center for the lcd (not too dark and not too light). however, i find the pictures to more closely resemble the lcd when i make it a notch or two darker. (or at least in pics w/o a flash)

[Edited on 9-17-2002 by blackandwhite]
Old Sep 20, 2002, 2:10 AM   #7

Using a tripod will help steady your night time shots alot, the camera needs more time for these pictures, and any movement you make while its taking the picture can blur the image. You can also try setting the ISO rating to 400, and maybe adjust the shutterspeed manually, the longer its open, the brighter the image will be. It's best to just experiment with your cameras features and settings. Some times I will take 5-20 pictures of the same thing, each one changing the settings a little.

Good luck, hope this helps
MIDACL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2002, 4:46 PM   #8

Default Cheap Alternative Flash

I have an Olympus 2100UZ and found the same problem with indoor photos.

I just bought a Pheonix Digital Slave flash and it has made a world of difference. I can now put the flash anywhere in the room I want and bounce it off the ceiling for a more diffuse light. it only cost me $79 plus shipping

Redeye can still be an issue because the on camera flash is still used to fire the slave flash, but if the rest of the image is good i can always fix the redeye in Photoshop in a couple of seconds.

Here is the link.

http://www.pcaol.com/product.cfm?ProductID=432
samplejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2002, 9:10 PM   #9

samplejs
Looks like a nice flash and bracket ensemble.

Quote:
Redeye can still be an issue because the on camera flash is still used to fire the slave flash,
if you are using the on camera flash strictly to fire the slave ( and not for a front fill) , you can just "deviate" it toward the ceiling or to the slave direction ( with some kind of white card ), it should be enough to trigger the slave
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote