Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 27, 2004, 10:11 AM   #1

I'd like to take some good close up pictures (would like to unload some stuff on *bay for starters) and I really don't understand anything about Macro lenses.

I have seen some macro lenses for sale, but don't understand their specs.

For instancea Nikon 60mm f2.8 macro lens was recommended to me - how is that lens different from a regular lens. I Imagine that there is a magnification part to thedescription that I am missing.

johnsib is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 27, 2004, 10:21 AM   #2

"Macro" lenses are just lenses that can focus *much* closer to the camera than you would normally expect.

Macro "enthusiasts" tend to talk of "magnification" rather than "focal length" as it's the absolute size of the image compared to the object they tend to be interested in.

If you're selling 'em, don't worry, just post the detail you can* find, inc the fact that they're macro lenses. Anyone who wants one will know what they're looking for.
ccomley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2004, 10:35 AM   #3

Macro lenses usually have an extra click stop or switch that place the elements in a position that they can focus at a closer distance. Some macro lenses can focus right at the end of the lens , but most will focus at about 2-3". But remember you will still need light on the subject so consider using a tripod or something like a ringlight.

If you already have some existing lenses you can add a close up filter (usually you get a kit denoted as a +1,+2,+4) you can even stack them up. This gives an inexpensive alternative which would be fine for ebay sized photos.

http://www.lensmateonline.com/g1macrocomp.html

CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2004, 6:25 AM   #4

Thanks for the tips!

The filters rang a bell in my head - remembered that my wife had a bunch of filters when we got married. Unfortunately whenI found them they were all 52mm and my new camera needs 58mm. Too bad - the macro ones wern't even opened.

Idid a search and saw some Hoya kits - one type is more expensive - says they are multicoated - is it worth the extra $. also some Quantarary for only about $32.

Any suggestions on which I should buy?
Old Jun 28, 2004, 7:38 AM   #5

What camera are you using? Technically all you need is a stepping ring to get those to fit your current camera. The problem is that if you go that way it will block the outer edges of the picture. Of course, if your subject is really small, then it will still fit within the unblocked smaller area. A stepping ring would be much cheaper.

Another point on macro lenses is that they are usually much sharper than the average lens. This is mostly due to the demands macro users put on the lens. So macro lenses can be rather expensive, but their results can be amazing.

The reality is that auction sites rarely need pictures that nice. Sure, you want to show the details and all that, but this isn't fine art or macro work for a magazine. So you might get by just fine using a close focusing lens put on a lens you already have.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2004, 7:44 AM   #6

Why not spend £5 on a step down ring which will allow you to use the 52mm filters on your 58mm filter thread? You might get a little vignetting. I use a 55mm polariser on a 58mm thread without any problems.
If you want to get really close you could put an old 50mm lens on the front of the camera's lens and reverse it. This will allow you to focus and inch or so away from the object. You will need a lens that allows you to keep the aperture open.

The pictures in these threads were done with a reversed lens.
Thread one
Thread two
Thread three
Thread four
Thread five

[line]But then all they know is how to put you down. When you're there, they're your friend. But then when you're not around. They say, "Oh, she's changed". Oh we know what that means. Well it means they're just jealous. But they'll never do the things. That they wish that they could do so well
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2004, 8:55 AM   #7

Again I'm looking back to your original post as to the purpose of these shots. Foronlineauctionsyou really don't need that much.

I agree with the above, pick up a stepping ring (cost will be less than $10) and crop down to the picture (this even will give you more effective magnification). If you have a zoom lens you can usually zoom out of the vignetting.

Once you have played around for awhile you can decide if you want to upgrade to a larger set you can.

Multicoating is always a sticky point. Some photographers swear by it others (like me) see the benifit as so small thatit's worth a few bucks but not a lot of bucks. You are much better with a name brand non-MC filter over a no-name MC filter.
CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2004, 9:58 AM   #8

Thanks again!

I just bought a Nikon D 100 two weeks ago.

My wife had the filters for a Pentax that she replaced many years ago.

I had used a step up ring with an Olympus in order to put on a larger diameter threaded teleconverter. I wasn't thinking that it would be ok to step down from 58 to 52 mm.

I will try this and cropping the picture as I don't really have the money to buy a macro lens at this time and for now I'm just looking to put some decent pictures on auction.
Old Jun 28, 2004, 12:12 PM   #9

Just got a chance to check out the reversed lens pictures - that is incredible!!
Old Jul 1, 2004, 6:28 AM   #10

I bought the step down ring - it was only $10 at a local store.

I know that this picture is bad, but i'm posting it anyway - could use suggestions on a lighting box. I'd like to make one myself, since I'm broke after buying the D100 and this watch:roll:

Attached Images