Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Sep 17, 2002, 5:46 PM   #1

Default Am I able to delete the images from my PC?

I plan to mount this digital camera. Is it possible to delete the images on my pc if it remains constantly connected to the pc? Or would I have to delete the images directly from the camera? Also, does anyone have any suggestions for template imaging software? For example, in the bottom it reads, Thank you for coming to Disneyland.
Br1ang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2002, 5:57 PM   #2

Default Template Software

All of the cameras that I have seen come with some software from the camera vendor or a software package that the vendor includes with the package. The software can have a template program included. Which camera are you looking at?
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2002, 6:00 PM   #3

I'm looking at either one of these, can you make a suggestion?

Olympus c-4040
Olympus D-40
Olympus C-2100
Toshiba PDR-3300
Minolta Dimage 7i
Canon Powershot G2

The more needed answer is if it is possible to delete the images on my pc if it remains constantly connected to the pc? Or would I have to delete the images directly from the camera?
Br1ang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2002, 6:27 PM   #4

Br1ang, your question doesn't make sense but I'm going to make a stab at what I think you meant.

I think you are trying to setup a tethered camera arrangement as would be used at an amusement park, getting a shot of each person in line and saving the pictures directly to your PC's hard drive. Unfortunately most consumer digicams don't work that way. A few can but for the most part there are separate modes for taking pictures and conneting to USB. Some consumer digicams can be setup for webcam use but I'm not sure which. Also some very high end professional digicams are setup for tethered use with a firewire connection.

What exactly are you trying to do? Was I on the right track. Might be possible to do it with a webcam setup if you don't need high resolution. I actually built a system like this several years ago but it was awfully complex with the then available technology. We used a 3CCD video camera fed into a capture board then used a custom client-server application to upload it to an Oracle database on an HP Unix server so people could review thier pictures on a web kiosk then buy prints in the gift shop. This huge Rube Goldberg arrangement was the video guest book at Biosphere 2 when I worked there.
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2002, 1:05 AM   #5

Br1ang,

To complement and tell you another way partially what Padeye said:

Assuming the camera has a USB connection ( most do) , you have to switch it by someway to a "transfert" mode ( on the D7i , it's by the rotating switch knob + some push on another selector) to enable that mode , then be able to download the pictures just taken , and delete it after( on this mode, the camera memory card behave as a drive to the PC) .

So yes, you can delete pics, download pics , but not in a permanent real time basis, since you have to re-put the camera in "shot" or "camera" mode to take picture again ( by turning the knob on the D7i) .
( the video output is just for monitoring , at NTSC standard, you can't have the pic resolution)

Also , the D7i USB cable is 4,5 feet long , I use an extension of 3 feet, so 7,5 feet still ok, longer: I have no idea.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote