Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 4, 2004, 3:57 PM   #1

Guys,

I am going to need a cheap, used sub-$100 digital camera for immediate use.

I plan to buy LOTS of memory and extra batteries for this.

My question will be due to the fact that after a few months, I'll want to upgrade that cheap, used camera for a nice, new, ~$500 camera.

Question is, what cheap, sub-$100 used camera will allow me to use the extra memory and batteries I buyfor it, on the new camera that I will eventually buy?

The new camera that I'll eventually get will need to have lots of optical focus for taking amateur pictures at race tracks, short but decent movies and night pictures.

Thanks for any advice!!
CZ Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2004, 2:41 AM   #2

Look at cameras that use AAs and compact flash memory...that will give you the best chance. However, many camera manufacturers are going lithium-ion because they make more money on replacement batteries (and they can make the cameras smaller).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 3:14 AM   #3

Well, I "accidentally" bought a 256mb Sandisk "SD" card, so I guess I have to buy whatever mdoel phone uses that card.

Should make things a little easier. :?I have no problem with buying a phone that uses regular batteries.

Thanks,

Ed
Old Jul 5, 2004, 3:11 PM   #4

CZ Eddie wrote:
Quote:
Well, I "accidentally" bought a 256mb Sandisk "SD" card, so I guess I have to buy whatever mdoel phone uses that card.

Should make things a little easier. :?I have no problem with buying a phone that uses regular batteries.

The only phones I know of that use SD cards also have PDAs built in and cost over $100. Phones don't use memory cards or AA batteries.

SD has become the standard for compact cameras except for Fuji, Olympus and Sony, which use their own proprietary memory (xD and Memory Stick). Canon still makes some compact cameras that take CF, but even they are going to SD for the very small cameras.

Most cheap cameras use AA batteries so they don't have to provide a charger and rechargeable batteries. AA will then limit your choice of a better camera as many have switched to lithium. There are good cameras with AAs, you just have a more limited choice.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 3:22 PM   #5

You didn't mention ANYTHING about a phone in your original message, only in your reply!!! Next time post all the info required for a reply so people don't waste time posting useless replies!!! :roll:

A camera that has lots of zoom and uses SD memory AND AAs is the Kyocera M410R...can't say anything about that camera beyond that.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 3:28 PM   #6

Slipe,

I believe that Nikon still uses CF for most of their models and Canon uses CF for all models except for two, the SD110 and the SD10.

August

August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 3:47 PM   #7

Mikefellh wrote:
Quote:
You didn't mention ANYTHING about a phone in your original message, only in your reply!!! Next time post all the info required for a reply so people don't waste time posting useless replies!!! :roll:

A camera that has lots of zoom and uses SD memory AND AAs is the Kyocera M410R...can't say anything about that camera beyond that.

Relax, Mr. Mike... The "phone" was a misprint on my part and I meant Camera.

The Kyocera M410R you mentioned looks incredible. But at $380 (cheapest I could find), it's a bit out of my immediate budget. But definately something that interests me, with all that available zoom (60x?) so I'll keep an eye on it.

slipe, thanks for the info on SD cards. Looks like it wasn't a bad purchase then, since alot of mfg's use it for their cameras.
Old Jul 12, 2004, 1:52 AM   #8

Guys, I put together an eBay search for a camera. There are 91 results. Could you please help me pick one that works with my SD card?

I promise not to hold any malfunctioning purchases against you. I hold that to my responsibility only.

I NEED HELP! I need the camera within the next two weeks and have no idea which one of these cameras works with my SD sandisk card.

Here's the saved search:

http://search.ebay.com/kod-tosh-fuji...trypageZsearch
Old Jul 12, 2004, 1:53 AM   #9

Like I said... this is basically a starter camera that will lead to a much better camera, but I need it like ASAP and can't afford the full budget right now. Just need something to take lot's of night and party pictures for an upcoming trip.

THANKS GUYS!!!!! :|
Old Jul 12, 2004, 7:46 AM   #10

You'd probably do well with a cheap Vivitar for now. I think they usually use AA's and SD.
I'd just go to Wal-Mart and see what they have.
ignavia is offline   Reply With Quote