Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 5, 2004, 10:47 PM   #1

Unfortunately (Ha Ha) i have to spend 8 days in Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons shooting pictures.

I have access to a Canon S1 IS. I would appreciatecomments on any of the camera's special or manual feature that might enhance my shots.

Thank You

obrien040362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2004, 12:23 AM   #2
Administrator

Shooting in "P" mode will yield great pics. For the best scenic pics I would recommend the use of a circular polarizing filter to help darken the skies and fight nasty reflections. Be sure to pick up two pairs of 4 hi-capacity (2100mAh or better)NiMH type rechargeable batteries and a quick charger- alkalines are a very poor choice. See my NiMH battery page:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/nimh_batteries.html

Make sure that you have a large enough CF memory card to store all of your photos unless you are taking a laptop along. Even with the laptop you'll want at least a 256MB or 512MB CF card.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 10:05 AM   #3

I second the motion on all Steve has said. I returned from a trip to Alaska & the Yukon in June and made good use of my linear polarizer on my Panasonic FZ10 and the IS & 12x zoom worked great. Plus I had a Digital Wallet to store pix and ended up with over 2000, some it because I was using the burst mode when shooting wildlife. Every nite I would download the day's pix to the wallet. Have a great trip. They're great places for pix...Harvey
ltdedorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 1:32 PM   #4

welcome to the forum, obrien...

The only other thing I would suggest is read the manual for the camera before your trip. This way, if special shooting situations arise, you will have some knowledge of how best to use the camera.

By all means, take a "boatload" of media on your trip!

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 11:25 PM   #5

how about ISO speeds.

Will an ISO100 have less noise that a higher ISO?

Since outdoors is ISO 100 the right speed or should i let the camera pick (auto)?
Old Jul 7, 2004, 1:47 AM   #6

Also, bring along non rechargeable lithium batteries for backup. I remember one day driving around Yellowstone when the weather went from a warm 75 degrees to a fridgid 28. My Ni-MH batteries, all freshly charged before leaving my hotel room, were all but dead weight after 5 shots outside. I was using an Olympus E-10 at the time, and luckly had brought three spare sets of CR-V3's for just such an occasion.

As for the ISO question, during the day, and if it's very sunny, select ISO 100 and shoot away. Higher ISO's will introduce noise, and the camera may be fooled into using a higher ISO value if shooting in the shadows for example. Later in the day you may want to bump the ISO accordingly, but keep an eye for the shuter speed value. Too slow a shutter speed and you could get a blured shot. Make use of a tripod when needed, and in that case turn off IS (image stabilization doesn't jive well when the camera is mounted to a tripod, it attempts to correct motion that isn't there).

And wake up early for those early morning shots. I found that leaving the hotel in West Yellowstone at 6:30am, and keeping to the speed limit in the park, I could get to Yellowstone Falls by ~8am - that is, if I didn't stop for any other op's along the way (hard to do!). Plan to leave even earlier than that if you want to get sunrise shots around this time of summer. Have fun there! :|
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2004, 12:16 PM   #7

ISO 100 should be fine for outdoor shots.

Dont forget circular polarizer!

Also, as far as batteries go, get a DPS9000.

You can get one for $39.95 at Ritz camera.

Two nice things about this bat is:

Transferable to most dig cams.

Lithium based, therefore relatively insensitive.

Good luck

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2004, 11:12 PM   #8

Thanks all

marokero

does the camera select the shutter speed based on light and ISO?
Old Jul 9, 2004, 1:38 AM   #9

Yes, ISO determines the sensitivity of the sensor, while the aperture size determines the ammount of light that gets through to the sensor. Example:

ISO 100, f/2.8, 1/60s = ISO 200, f/2.8, 1/125s = ISO 400, f/2.8, 1/250s

All three would yield the same exposure, given the constant aperture, and changing ISO which in turn affects shutter speeds. The following would yield the same exposure, albeit with different depth of field:

ISO 100, f/2.8, 1/60s = ISO 100, f/2, 1/125s = ISO 100, f/4, 1/30s

In the above the ISO value remained constant, while the aperture opening changed. It affected shutter speed in the same manner.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2004, 5:53 PM   #10

With the S1 IS I'd go for P-mode and lowest ISO (50 that is) and IS on as long as you can shot with high enough shutter speed so you don't get motion blur. When shutter values are below 1/20 or so I would prefer using a tripod but go higher than ISO100 for landscape and still images.

Only bump ISO to 200 or 400 if you need speed (i.e. animals / freezing motion).

IS increases power drain, same with continuous AF - so prepare yourself with batteries!

Be sure to get some detail shots rather than only having one big image - that's what the 10x Zoom is for

Would love to see some pics when you're back
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote