Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 6, 2004, 2:19 PM   #1

I'm looking into getting my first dslr the Canon EOS rebel(300d).With the current exchange rate my first thought was to look to the US and compared to the UK i could make a great saving.
But- Will i have to buy a new battery and charger to make it compatable for the uk?
Will i have to pay a huge import tax on it?
Every site i visited only ships within the US,where can i find a company that ships overseas?
Thanks
Mealers
Mealers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2004, 2:25 PM   #2

Don't forget warranty...you might not have any local warranty if you buy from the US...you might have to ship it back to the US to get it fixed.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 3:06 PM   #3

Mealers. I wouldn't do it full stop....but then I'm very wary.

We have been buying jeans, shirts, jackets and other similar stuff direct from the USA for about 20yrs so know the score.

Big problem is tax. However you look at it you should pay tax on imports and the only way to avoid that is by deceiptfrom the shipper...ie marking it as a gift or whatever. Customs are far more keen these days than they were 10-15yrs ago and not much of value slips past them. By trying to cheat you risk penalty charges or losing the goods.

You would have to check for your camera but I think the import tax is about 15% on top of the price *including* shipping charges. Then VAT is added on top of the whole lot. So take a $750 camera plus $100 air shipping at 1.84 exchange rate. That hits the UK customs with a value of £462. Add 15% import tax to get £531 plus VAT to make £624...plus the UK end shippers admin of £15.....£639!!

You can buy it cheaper than that in the UK.

And as Mike says the warranty would not be valid in the UK...or at the very least be a pig to sort out if anything went wrong.

There is also doubt if you are protected by the credit card companyshould anything happen to mean you need to claim against them.

I mean how much would you need to save to be worth all this risk? The camera would need to be about $350.

David
Cybershot455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 5:54 PM   #4

Have you considered ordering from Germany? It seems that for manybrands the best prices inside the EU are just there. Ordering from another EU-country means that there are no customs formalities, fees or the local TVA to pay. Also, the warranties are normally EU-wide which is not necessarily the case with a camera bought from the US. Anyway, EOS 300d body seems to cost today about 830€ with VAT in Germany which is something like 555£.
z220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2004, 8:12 AM   #5
kex

z220 wrote:
Quote:
Have you considered ordering from Germany? It seems that for manybrands the best prices inside the EU are just there. Ordering from another EU-country means that there are no customs formalities, fees or the local TVA to pay. Also, the warranties are normally EU-wide which is not necessarily the case with a camera bought from the US. Anyway, EOS 300d body seems to cost today about 830€ with VAT in Germany which is something like 555£.
yes you're right. the price for the body is about 850€ in germany at the moment.
But I browsed ebay.com yesterday and it seems they have some great drebel packages with loads of stuff like lenses, filters, bags for about $1100.

For that money you only get the drebel kit here in germany.
kex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2004, 4:58 PM   #6

Hi,I have purchased two camera's from the U.S. & saved a lot of money overall.

My latest was a Minolta A1 with flash & bag for under £500 about 4 months ago.

I did get caught for duty but even then it was still alot cheaper than in U.K.

Saved around £200 so i think it was worth it,but as someone else already pointed out the warranty is a problem but then if your prepared to camble i would go for it.

Also take into account that the U.S. people do not stand goods that are not up to scratch, but bad items in all areas of theconsumer market slip through.

Another suggestion if you want the rebel, take alook at Canada Ebay they can be found even cheaper there.

russellsnr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2004, 4:55 PM   #7

Well,thanks all for all your help. I've come to the conclusion that i'm going to buy British. Cheapest online price is now £649 inc 18-55 EFS lens.
I'm new to Steves Forums and its great to see alot of more experenced photographers helping out with us newbies.
Mealers is offline   Reply With Quote