Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Sep 18, 2002, 10:05 PM   #1

Default Windows 98/98SE. Will it matter?

I was about to purchase Dazzle's 6 in 1 reader when I noticed Windows 98SE listed under system requirements. I have Window 98. Will I be ok? Sorry for such a trivial question, but thanks for any help.
MikeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 18, 2002, 10:57 PM   #2

it should include the drivers necessary for proper operation.
if you have kept up with windows update and have the service pack installed with all the other little security stuff like a good little windows user there shouldn't be any problems.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2002, 11:51 PM   #3
Administrator

Makes a big difference. The original Windows98 does not do USB well at all. They fixed that in the Win98 SE.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2002, 6:19 AM   #4

Default Win98 or 98SE

I agree with Steve you need 98SE. There were major fixes between the first 98 that microsoft released. You should be able to go to Windows Update on Internet Explorer and download the upgrade or order it on CD. You start Internet Explorer and click on Tools and then click on Windows Update from the drop down menu
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2002, 7:54 AM   #5

if you can still get the se upgrade for $20 like it was i will agree with them 100%

DO NOT GET Me

the major reason that Win98 did not work well with USB in general in the beginning is because a lot the early USB chips were not fully 1.0, 1.1 compliant. i had a add on board just like that. only one device gave me issues. that was my usb zip. it worked perfectly but their software would not allow me to format the drives. so i improvised and used the windows formatter. it worked ok. microtech usb reader worked ok.
they updated the drivers with a few tweaks in the sp1 and later updates and except for my old laptop usb worked just fine without se
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2002, 10:40 PM   #6

MikeL,
If your system started as win95 and was upgraded to win98 will take a reformat of HD for USB to work right. If it did start as 95 you can just get the upgrade of newer OS. After reformate with upgrade disk in it will say it cannot find previos version of windows and ask where, put your full version of old OS in cd and tell it to look at that drive, will verify and let you swap cd's and proceed with install of new without having to install old. If upgrades are going to cost the same make sure if going with XP to go to windows site to make sure all your hardware compateable, it will look into your system and let you know. If not ME is a very stable platform and much more USB friendly than 98SE, it also knows how to use more of your installed memory than 98SE (which did not know how to use much above 64) making things run faster. Also did away with the annoying "please insert your WIN98 disk" when installing new hardware. Go with the newist OS that will support your current hardware, XP or ME will show a nice increase in benchmark score with 3d mark 2001SE over 98SE and if you use a modem to connect you will see faster net performance due to increase of memory useage. 256 meg will work great, not worth buying anymore than that as will not go to your next system as everything now going DDR and RAMBUS.
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2002, 5:47 AM   #7

Thanks for all the info!!!
MikeL is offline   Reply With Quote