Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 12, 2004, 9:56 PM   #1

I measured a 4x6 photo from a batch of digital photos, which I recently developed from the first pictures I took on my newly purchased DRebel. The 4x6 pictures measures 5.625"x3.625" for a ratio of 1.55. I noticed some cropping had occurred on my picture from the original pictures that were given to the lab. The DRebel on the highest setting is 3072x2048 for a ratio of 1.5, which corresponds to the4x6 ratio.

I cropped all the picture that were process with the 1.5 ratio in mind that were developed. Am I missing the boat on something on how to resize photos for print?

If this information helps, I used Walgreens DIgital Photo lab.

Sabertooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 12, 2004, 10:10 PM   #2
Administrator

The ratio of Width to Height is called "Aspect Ratio". 35mm film has an aspect ratio of 3:2.

Your Canon matches up exactly (it's got a 3:2 Aspect Ratio). So, no cropping should be required for 4"x6" prints.

Most digicams have an aspect ratio of 4:3 (which works out better for larger sizes).

I'd ask Walgreens why they cropped your prints.

Here's a handy chart that shows popular aspect ratios,with frame utilization atvarious print sizes. Note that 35mm film (and your camera, with it's 3:2 Aspect Ratio), should provide perfect 4"x6" prints (no cropping required):

http://home.earthlink.net/~terryleed....htm#frameutil

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2004, 10:21 PM   #3

Thank You JimC! The chart was exactly what I was looking for. It will help out a whole lot.

By the way do you recommend any on-line printing service?

Sabertooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2004, 10:34 PM   #4
Administrator

Well, I don't use them very often (online printing services). I do use http://www.photoaccess.com on rare occassions. I used them a couple of months ago for a bunch of wedding photos I took.

Their quality is very good (but you have to watch out for the shipping charges if you use an online printer). Sometimes it's easier to go with a local printer instead.

BTW, Photoaccess.com also offers "Digital Size" prints. This lets you print at many sizes, without cropping.

Of course, the problem is that you may not be able to find suitable frames for uncropped prints at many sizes. :sad:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2004, 4:28 PM   #5

If you are having trouble finding frames for "digital size" prints, you might want to try these folks. I'm not connected in any way with them other than as a satisfied customer.

http://www.quadroframes.com/Products...ing_Frames.htm
peterboy is offline   Reply With Quote