Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 13, 2004, 1:13 PM   #1

[align=left]HoHow do I take pictures of fast scnenes with this camera? I do not see anything in the manual about this or a sports scene MODE to use and nothing how to set the shutter speed manually...I am new to this site so hope I got this posted correctly and in the right forum. thanks [/align]
germanshepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 13, 2004, 4:18 PM   #2
Administrator

germanshepherd wrote:
Quote:
[align=left]HoHow do I take pictures of fast scnenes with this camera? I do not see anything in the manual about this or a sports scene MODE to use and nothing how to set the shutter speed manually...I am new to this site so hope I got this posted correctly and in the right forum. thanks [/align]
First of all, you may want to know that the text color you chose for your query, is not readable using the default board theme.

Go to "My Account", "Preferences", and change the "Board Theme" to Default. You'll see what I mean. I had to highlight your post to read it. That may be why you're not getting any responses.

Anyway, looking through Steve's review of your model, you cannot control aperture or shutter speed, and there is no scene mode preferring faster shutter speeds.

However, even if you had this ability, there is no guarantee that it would improve anything. You can't just set a camera to take photos at 1/1000 second (even in a camera that allows this). Otherwise, you'd get VERY dark photos in most conditions (totally black in many). This is because the shutter must stay open long enough for proper exposure. Lens brightness also comes into play.

The way most camerasdo it (using a "Sports" scene mode), is to bias the camera's autoexposure algorithms to use a larger aperture. This lets more light through to the sensor. So, the camera can use faster shutter speeds (compared to when set to a smaller aperture). However, this does not guarantee shutter speeds will be fast enough to "stop action". The shutter speeds a camera can use, will be dependent on available light.

There is one way that you may be able to get faster shutter speeds: Increase ISO speed.

ISO 200 makes your camera's CCD Sensor twice as sensitive as ISO 100 to light. As a result, the camera's autoexposure can use shutter speeds twice as fast. ISO 400 would allow it to use shutter speeds 4 times as fast. If you're lucky, your camera won't try to "stop down" the aperture using this technique, and will increase shutter speeds as desired.

However, increasing ISO speed also increases noise (similiar to film grain). This is because you're basically "turning up the gain" from the sensor. This also amplifies noise. You'll need to experiment and see if you can live with the increased noise or not.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2004, 6:22 PM   #3

Jim...thanks for the info and pointing out about my colors...Most of my shots I will take of "moving" objects will be outdoors wiht lots of light so hopefully that in conjunction of changing the ISO setting will help...
germanshepherd is offline   Reply With Quote