Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 14, 2004, 2:59 PM   #1

Hey guys, as with the other 99% of the posts on this forum, I need help deciding on a camera

I have found a camera for $199(CDN) (roughly 150 US) but I can't seem to find any reviews on it:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...=&newdeptid=14

Other then that I've been looking at the HP PS 635. Any comments or suggestions welcome. I need to stay in the money range I mentioned.

Thanks!!
digital.funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2004, 3:34 PM   #2

Maybe because camera sites concentrate on decent cameras from known manufacturers...I never heard of "Mercury" (and I live in Canada where this ad is from).

Doing a Google search seems to only come up with sites that sell bargain devices rather than good ones.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2004, 4:00 PM   #3

im aware of that Mikefellh, I would definetly check the camera out first-hand. Im just asking from a "specs" point of view.
Old Jul 14, 2004, 5:20 PM   #4

A quick look shows it to be an average low end 3MP camera. A rough guess is that it will perform like this camera http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/iq3340.html

Take a look through the 3MP section of Steve's reviews and you will find some other name brands with similar features. Like the Kodak CX6330 or if you can live with printing 4x6 then the Canon A60 will be worth looking at. Both are near that $150 price point.

Digital cameras are getting to the point that cheap stuff can be made but they are not quite there yet. Good optics still takes a little bit of skill to assemble. You will probably be a lot happier spending $50 more for a name brand.

CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2004, 6:46 PM   #5

like the others said..I would spend a little bit more and get a camera from a better known company...$50 more will open a world of better oppurtunities..Personally I just got a Panasonic LC50 that I love...I am very satisfied with the pictures and features and it got good reviews on here..as well as other cameras in the $250 range. good luck
germanshepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2004, 6:58 PM   #6

hmmmm alright thanks for the advice guys, the only thing holding me back, is that this will really be my first camera. I'm not really into photography, so I dont want to spend money on something that has a chance of ending up on the shelf collecting dust :P

thanks again
Old Jul 14, 2004, 7:08 PM   #7

another quick question... how much does MP matter?

Is it better to get a low-end 3mp or a camera of the same price thats only 2MP?

edit: one last question, I wanna take pictures close up, and I hear getting optical zoom is MUCH better then digital zoom, thoughts?
Old Jul 14, 2004, 7:12 PM   #8

Depends on what you want to do with the final output.

To print 4x6 or 5x7 2mp will look fine. When you get to 8x10 it will start to look a little ragged (still usable and OK but losing some sharpness). The 2MP camera (if good quality) will produce better pictures than most of those inexpensive 35mm cameras.

For computer viewing 2MP is way more than most people need. The average web page has 800x600 (about .5MP) with a big fancy picture being 1280x1024 (about 1.3MP) in size. Email'd pictures are usually closer to the 800x600 range.
CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2004, 7:23 PM   #9
Administrator

digital.funk wrote:
Quote:
hmmmm alright thanks for the advice guys, the only thing holding me back, is that this will really be my first camera. I'm not really into photography, so I dont want to spend money on something that has a chance of ending up on the shelf collecting dust :P

Well, another way to look at it, is that if the quality of the photos is terrible, then it will have a much greater chance of sitting on the shelf collecting dust. :-)

I agree with the others. BTW, don't pay attention to Digtal Zoom. You heard right. Basically, all Digital Zoom is doing, is cropping the image. That is, cutting out the portion of the image from the center, then enlarging it. This degrades image quality rapidly. You can do the same thing in software later (without using Digital Zoom in the camera).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2004, 7:45 PM   #10

thanks alot for the help guys, I think I will go with a 2MP camera with 3x optical zoom.

Im deciding on the HP Photosmart 635 (seems decent, but crap battery life)

or

Fujifilm FinePix A205