Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Sep 22, 2002, 4:58 PM   #1

Default Camera case?

First, thank you Steve and the rest of you for recommending B&H; checked and with their reasonable shipping, will pay only $20 more than a lowball online retailer's price for my new Canon G2--worth it for the peace of mind! My question is, should I add either the $45 semi=hard leather case from Canon or the $30 leather case from ? (both offered on the B&H site)? Or is it OK to use any old case, a cheapie from Wal-Mart for example? Do the cases offer and the cameras need much protection? Thanks in advance. Arlene
Arlenejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 23, 2002, 12:08 AM   #2

Leather, hard, aluminum, crocodile, leopard ... just depend on your taste .
But a case is first to protect the camera against shocks ( well, I think so... )
So whatever you get ( Lowerpro, Tamrac and many other manufacturer are specialized in camera cases) , make sure it have good cushioned walls (?) , and fit your extra needs if any ( belt, extra pockets for accessories , rain cover ...)
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2002, 12:15 AM   #3

If the primary purpose is to protect the equipment, then any Good Brand Digital Cam bag will do,

Kodak, Samsonite and some other mfg. offer good quality bags at prices as low as $15.

Click the link below for a thread on Digicam Bags,

http://www.stevesforums.com/forum/vi...d.php?tid=2867
ajitkataria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2002, 6:53 AM   #4

Thank you, that was very helpful; I looked through old posts but didn't find this topic. Is thre a search mode on this board to find topics already covered?
Old Sep 23, 2002, 6:54 AM   #5

Oooops, ummm, never mind, just saw the search button.
Old Sep 23, 2002, 7:24 AM   #6

Default Camera Bag

Kmart has a kodak camera bag for $15. It is a great little camera bag that has room for my filters, extension tube, batteries, extra film, my usb cable. It is worth a look.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2002, 9:19 AM   #7

My kit came with the leather case for the G2 - it is a retro style case where one half screws on to tripod mount and the other part covers the top and lens. I don't know what that style is called but my old manual focus SLRs have that same style of case. On B&H it's listed as the semi-hard leather case.

The leather case is nice when going to a wedding or the like where you might not want an ugly nylon bulky case. It provides some degree of protection from light knocks and maybe some moisture. You can shoot with the case still on, just flip around the top part.

When closed the entire camera is protected, about the only thing you can't do with the case attached is change batteries and CF cards.

But the leather case is NOT padded, if you drop it it lands with an expensive sounding thud.

If your going someplace less formal a nylon padded case is bettter. I use a Lowe Nova Micro, the camera fits in nicely and I have room for a mini-tripod and lens cleaner pen on the other side of the baffle. It is bigger, but is better protected and I carry those 'extras' that are important.

If you had to get only one case I'd go for a nylon, padded one. My camera came with the leather one essentially free of charge and I had the Nova from my old 950.

happy shooting
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote