Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 26, 2004, 2:10 PM   #1

What is the lowest recomended speed for memory cards, for recording video and standard shots. Also, what are some brands to stay away from? I'll either be getting a Canon S1is(CF 1 and2 and microdrive),KM Dimage Z3(SD/MMC), or Panasonic Fz15 (SD/MMC).

Thanx,

Craig
Hyoctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2004, 2:31 PM   #2
Administrator

Craig:

There are many types of memory for Digital Cameras. For example: Secure Digital, CompactFlash, CompactFlash Type II, Multimedia, Smartmedia, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, and Xd Picturecard.

The way a given memory type performs, will usually depend on the camera model. Some cameras can take advantage of higher speed cards, and some won't.

Also, you often see multiple manufacturers sharing some of the same components (controller, memory cells).Some manufacturers may be using more than one supplier of components, too. So, it can be a difficult task to say which one performs best.

With CompactFlash media, Rob Galbraith does have some performance tests in DSLR models. He also has some good information on how to tell what type of components are being used in some of the cards tested (based on the codes on them).

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...e.asp?cid=6007

However, you usually don't find a lot of information on how a given card works in non-DSLR models -- other than asking users what works best for them.

Also, you sometimes find that manufacturers may have a compatibility chart for a camera model. For example,with my Konica Revio KD-510z (a.k.a., Minolta G500), Toshiba and Panasonic Secure Digital cards are considered compatible in 256mb and smaller sizeby the manufacturer.

However,in 512mb size, only Panasonic Secure Digital cards are considered compatible. Now, you can find SD cards using the same components as Panasonic (for example Simpletech), but you need to know what to look for.

I'd bespecificabout the camera model in your query, and you'll get more useful responses.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2004, 8:20 AM   #3

If you'd like to communicate my e-mail is [email protected]

I have a "hosted gallery" on onlinephotographers.com - page 5 - Foleyfolio and really enjoy forums with this group of photogs from around the globe.

My office phone 488-5068

Semper Fi,

Mark Foley
houseeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2004, 4:00 PM   #4

I have been told to stay away from Microdrives as they have internal moving parts are are more subject to physical damage. I drop cards and throw them around in my pocket or camera bag all the time. I have a Canon Digital Rebel and really love the Sandisk Ultra II 512 60X cards. I can't tell if they really make a whole lot of difference in the camera or not, but they shure transfer data off the Card to the computer fast. I use both a USB 2.0 reader and a PCMCIA reader. I can transfer a full 512mb CF with all RAW files in about 2 minutes. The regular cards take about 6-7, this time savings is huge when all your cards are full and you need to quickly transfer images off. The price difference is not much, but I have learned to not be cheap when it comes to photo equipment.
minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2004, 4:23 PM   #5

I have a KM Z2 and just bought a 256mb card made by lexar for $57 from SAM'S. So far this card performs well in both picture mode as well as movie mode. With most of the new camera's coming out you won't have to buy the biggest badest card out there (although if you have the money why not, just not necessary). Compare it like computer CPU's buy what fits the budgetand needbecause you will most likely never use all the proformance that is really there.

Yachtman:|
yachtman79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2004, 5:55 PM   #6

:?How do I select a SD memory card to maximize the speed possible with my new Dimage Xg camera? What specification of the camera limits the quality of the SD memory card to purchase? Can I improve the speed of this camera with "faster" memory cards? With a larger memory card? To me, camera performance and lack of problems with the memory card are more important than cost.Thanks.

Highland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2004, 5:56 PM   #7

How do I select a SD memory card to maximize the speed possible with my new Dimage Xg camera? What specification of the camera limits the quality of the SD memory card to purchase? Can I improve the speed of this camera with "faster" memory cards? With a larger memory card? To me, camera performance and lack of problems with the memory card are more important than cost.Thanks.
Old Aug 9, 2004, 6:38 PM   #8
Administrator

It's unlikely that a faster card will make your camera work any faster (but there isno good way to tell without testing specific cards in your model).

In 256mb and 512mb sizes, the Panasonic SD Cards are rated at 10mb/second. So, are the Simpletech Cards in these sizes (which are using the same components as the Panasonic Cards).Secure Digital Cards smaller than 256mb from all of the manufacturers (including Simpletech and Panasonic) are much slower.

So, my suggestion would be to go with a Panasonic or Simpletech Card SD card in 256mb or 512mb size. Even if your camera can't take advantage of the faster speed, your next camera may be able to. Also, if you use a faster card with a USB 2.0 card reader to transfer your photos, you'll get much faster transfer times
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2004, 11:27 PM   #9

Jim, Thank you for your answer to my concerns about SD cards. J. Nolan (highland):-D